When I first did Whole30, white potatoes were not allowed. They've updated their guidelines to include white potatoes, so that means this soup would be vegan and Whole30 compliant. This is the best Whole30 detox vegetable soup with potatoes, and it's meal-prep friendly!
This recipe was given to me by my friend and neighbor, Rukeya. She made a pot of this soup and brought it over with some whole wheat steamed bread a few weeks ago. Rukeya and her husband, Mehdi, are really great cooks and their food is always super healthy. This vegetable soup recipe with potatoes is so good, you will very happy to have leftovers.
What I Love About This Recipe
I don't know about you, but I can't eat food that doesn't taste spectacular. I've gotten to the point where I prefer to cook my own food than to eat out because I can control the quality of the ingredients. Also, I've accumulated some pretty solid recipes over the years.
On the other hand, I also can't eat food that makes me feel super disgusting. I eat to nourish my body, but I also try to enjoy the food and company in the process. When I come across food that not only tastes amazing but also makes me feel amazing, it's like my two worlds are colliding.
That's this soup. Period. I hope you like it.
- Carrots: Peel and chop the carrots into chunks.
- Onions: White onion, brown onion, sweet onion, or red onion are all suitable for this recipe.
- Celery: I chop the celery into similar size chunks as the carrots because they cook about the same amount of time.
- Sweet Corn: I buy the corn on the cob and then slice the corn into pinwheels. It really makes this soup fun to eat.
- White Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes: Peel and chop the potatoes. I don't recommend using purple potatoes because it will turn the soup purple. See the blooper below.
- Tomatoes: Any type of tomato will work for this recipe.
- For flavor: Garlic, ginger, and spicy pepper.
- Water or Vegetable Stock: I use water or water and a bouillon cube for this recipe. The soup broth is amazing after getting infused with spicy pepper, garlic, ginger, and onions. Vegetable stock or chicken stock is also suitable.
How to Make Spicy Vegetable Soup
The ingredients that give this spicy vegetable soup recipe with potatoes the most flavor is the garlic, ginger, onions, and spicy crushed pepper.
- Chop the celery and tomatoes. Peel the ear of corn and slice into ½" round pinwheels.
- Peel and chop the carrots, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. Set aside.
- In a very large pot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the chopped garlic, chopped ginger, and sliced onions. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the carrots, celery, and tomatoes. Add 1.5 liters (1.5 quarts) of water. Add the bouillon cube. Boil on high for 10 minutes covered.
- Add the potatoes, sweet potatoes, and corn. Boil on high for another 20 minutes covered. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove soup from heat once all of the vegetables are cooked.
Options and Variations
I've made this soup spicy and not spicy. Everyone at the dinner table preferred the spicy version of the soup, so if you can handle some kick, it's worth it.
We have eaten this soup with steamed whole wheat bread as a dinner. You can also have this soup as a side with a sandwich like this hawawshi recipe. Or, you can eat this soup with a salad for a light lunch option like this Lebanese fattoush recipe.
If you eat this soup as a standalone meal, it's vegan-friendly.
Hungry For More?
Subscribe to The Matbakh Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, or Pinterest pages. We also have a saucy newsletter.
Spicy Vegetable Soup with Potatoes
- 2 ear of corn
- 3 carrots
- 1 large onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoon sliced fresh ginger
- 1 lb sweet potatoes
- 1 lb golden potatoes
- 4 stalks of celery
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- crushed chili pepper to the desired level of spiciness
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 8 cups water
- Slice onions long ways. Slice garlic cloves. Peel and slice ginger.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes and golden potatoes. Peel and chop carrots. Chop celery. Slice corn on the cob into mini pinwheels. Chop tomatoes into large chunks.
- On medium-high heat, add olive oil to a large pot. Add onions, garlic, and ginger and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add spicy chili pepper and cook for 15 seconds.
- Add water to the pot and turn the heat up to high. Add the bouillon cube.
- Add the carrots, celery, and tomatoes. Cover with a lid. Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, golden potatoes, and corn. Continue cooking on high for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are all completely cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Yum, yum, yummy! Didn't have fresh tomatoes, corn, ginger, or chili peppers, so used canned diced tomatoes, canned corn, dried ginger powder, and dried red pepper flakes. Didn't have sweet potatoes so left them out. Used vegetable stock instead of water & bouillon cube. One of the most flavorful veg soup recipes I've tried! May just have to make it again tomorrow!
Thank you so much for the comment, and the notes of the substitutions you made! It’s one of my favorite veggie soups too!
Woooow this was spicy. I think my chili peppers were too hot. I liked the chili flavor but need an alternative to the spice
I guess you might need to find some large dried chilis that aren't as hot. I think I used dried chipotle peppers the last time I made it and it was flavorful but not too spicy.