This recipe was given to me by my friend and neighbor, Rukeya. She made a pot of this soup and brought it over with some whole wheat steamed bread a few weeks ago. Rukeya and her husband, Mehdi, are really great cooks and their food is always super healthy. This vegetable soup recipe with potatoes is so good, you will very happy to have leftovers.
I don’t know about you, but I can’t eat food that doesn’t taste spectacular. I’ve gotten to the point where I prefer to cook my own food than to eat out because I can control the quality of the ingredients. Also, I’ve accumulated some pretty solid recipes over the years.
On the other hand, I also can’t eat food that makes me feel super disgusting. I eat to nourish my body, but I also try to enjoy the food and company in the process. When I come across food that not only tastes amazing but also makes me feel amazing, it’s like my two worlds are colliding.
That’s this soup. Period. I hope you like it.
How to Make Vegetable Soup with Potatoes
The ingredients that give this spicy vegetable soup recipe with potatoes the most flavor is the garlic, ginger, onions, and spicy crushed pepper.
Chop the celery and tomatoes. Peel the ear of corn and slice into 1/2″ round pinwheels.
Peel and chop the carrots, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. Set aside.
In a very large pot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the chopped garlic, chopped ginger, and sliced onions. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
Add the carrots, celery, and tomatoes. Add 1.5 liters (1.5 quarts) of water. Add the bouillon cube. Boil on high for 10 minutes covered.
Add the potatoes, sweet potatoes, and corn. Boil on high for another 20 minutes covered. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove soup from heat once all of the vegetables are cooked.
So funny story… I have cooked this soup several times now and it’s turned out delicious every time. Today, I went to the store to get some of the ingredients for the soup, and I came across some purple potatoes. I thought, why not try these in the soup today?
Well, the taste is amazing, but the soup turned out purple! I was planning to shoot some photos of the soup, but I guess not.
If you don’t mind purple soup, then try the purple potatoes!
Options for This Recipe
I’ve made this soup spicy and not spicy. Everyone at the dinner table preferred the spicy version of the soup, so if you can handle some kick, it’s worth it.
We have eaten this soup with steamed whole wheat bread as a dinner. You can also have this soup as a side with a sandwich like this hawawshi recipe. Or, you can eat this soup with a salad for a light lunch option like this Lebanese fattoush recipe.
If you eat this soup as a standalone meal, it’s vegan friendly.Print
This spicy vegetable soup recipe with potatoes will leave you feeling full and satisfied. Jam-packed with nutrients, this soup takes 45 minutes to make.
- 2 ear of corn
- 3 carrots
- 1 large onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoon sliced fresh ginger
- 1 lb sweet potatoes
- 1 lb golden potatoes
- 4 stalks of celery
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- crushed chili pepper to the desired level of spiciness
- salt and pepper to taste
- chicken bouillon cube
- Slice onions long ways. Slice garlic cloves. Peel and slice ginger.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes and golden potatoes. Set aside.
- Peel and chop carrots. Chop celery. Set aside.
- Slice corn on the cob into mini pinwheels. Set aside.
- Chop tomatoes into large chunks. Set aside.
- On medium-high heat, add olive oil to a large pot. Add onions, garlic, and ginger and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add spicy chili pepper and cook for 15 seconds.
- Add 1.5 quarts (roughly 1.5 liters) of water to the pot and turn the heat up to high. Add the bouillon cube.
- Add the carrots, celery, and tomatoes. Cover with a lid. Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, golden potatoes, and corn. Continue cooking on high for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are all completely cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stewing
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2.5 cups
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 96 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 45 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 2 mg
Keywords: homemade vegetable soup recipe, easy vegetable soup recipe, vegan vegetable soup recipe, healthy vegetable soup recipe