This fattoush salad recipe is delicious and authentic. The combination of the crunchy bread and vegetables really balance out the dish.
If you’ve never cooked with sumac, zaatar, pita bread, or pomegranate syrup, you should try this recipe! You might need to check out an international grocery store or Amazon for these items.
Fattoush Salad Ingredients
There are a lot of ingredients for this salad. If you don’t have one of the ingredients, just skip the missing ingredient. All of the flavors really come together.
This fattoush salad recipe has the following:
- persian cucumbers or english cucumber
- pomegranate seeds (if you have some)
- fresh mint
- fresh parsley
- bell pepper
- fried pita chips with zaatar
Fattoush Salad Dressing Recipe
This is where the secrets are.
- pomegranate syrup (this is the secret ingredient)
- good quality olive oil
- lemon juice
If I’m eating the fattoush salad the next day, I will keep the pita chips separate. I add the pita chips to the salad right before I eat it.
Also, the lettuce can get soggy if you keep the salad overnight. If I’m bringing this for work lunches, I keep the lettuce separate from the salad and just add it in prior to eating.
So to summarize, if eating this in the future, keep the pita and lettuce separated until ready to serve.
**If you would like to bake the bread instead, this is a good healthy option. Spread some olive oil on the pita bread. Add zaatar and salt. Bake in the oven at 350F until golden brown.
The quantity for each ingredient is in the recipe card. Depending on the serving size needed, the amount of each ingredient will change.
Wash and chop lettuce. Set aside.
Chop onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, and bell peppers. Add salt and sumac.
Chop fresh mint and fresh parsley. Remove seeds from the pomegranate. Add to other salad ingredients.
Create salad dressing by mixing pomegranate syrup, lemon and olive oil. Add to salad ingredients and mix.
Make pita chips. Cut pita bread into chip size. Fry in oil or bake in the oven. Remove pita chips and immediately add salt and zaatar. Set aside.
Assemble fattoush salad by adding lettuce, chopped ingredients and pita chips into bowl directly before serving.Print
Fattoush salad is one of the most common salads in Lebanon. My favorite fattoush salad recipe is this one, and it has fried pita chips in it!
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 6 persian cucumbers or 1.5 english cucumbers
- 6 radishes
- 1/2 cup of pomegranate seeds (if you have some)
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup fresh mint
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons of sumac
- 4 tablespoons of pomegranate syrup (this is the secret ingredient)
- 6 tablespoons of good quality olive oil
- lemon juice from 2 large lemons
- salt to taste
- 2 large pita bread
- zaatar dried seasoning (if you have it)
- olive oil if baking pita chips
- frying oil if frying pita chips
Make Salad Base
- Wash and chop lettuce. Set aside.
- Chop onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, and bell peppers.
- Add salt and sumac.
- Chop fresh mint and fresh parsley.
- Remove seeds from the pomegranate. Add to other salad ingredients.
- Create salad dressing by mixing pomegranate syrup, lemon and olive oil. Add dressing to salad ingredients and mix.
Make Pita Chips
- Split pita bread in pita chip sized pieces.
- If frying, heat up frying oil. Add pita bread to oil and fry until golden brown. Remove onto a paper towel. Add salt and zaatar.
- If baking in the oven, split pita bread into half. Most pita bread has a pocket of air in the middle that separates the bread into a front and back. Split the pita bread so that the front and back are separated. Brush olive oil onto each pieces. Sprinkle zaatar and salt on the bread. Bake at 375F until golden brown and crunchy.
Assemble Salad Bowl
- Add salad to a bowl. Put pita chips on top. Enjoy!
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopping
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 327
- Sugar: 28 g
- Sodium: 236 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Fiber: 16 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: fatoush fattoush lebanese salad