Sometimes life is a little complicated. We own things we don't use, want things we don't need, and over-commit our schedules. When I want to Marie Kondo my breakfast routine, I make these 1 ingredient oven-roasted sweet potato wedges. Meals can't get any simpler than 1 ingredient.
What I Love About This Recipe
Not only are sweet potatoes filling and packed with nutrition, but they are also delicious. These roasted sweet potato wedges naturally caramelize in the oven. Adding salt, sugar, or butter to these roasted sweet potatoes is not necessary. In fact, it's discouraged because the added ingredients take away from these natural treats.
You can choose to eat the sweet potatoes with the skin or not. Personally, I prefer to peel the skins off. I make several pounds of these ahead of time at the start of the week. They are a great snack or quick breakfast. If you manage to eat 1 pound of sweet potatoes, you will eat a whopping 400 calories. Do you stress eat? Keep some of these sweet potatoes nearby.
The Only Ingredient
Sweet potatoes are the only ingredient you need for this recipe. I have found orange sweet potatoes to be the best potato to use. White sweet potatoes are drier and don't caramelize the same way. I have also made roasted purple sweet potatoes the same way, and they have turned out great as well. However, purple sweet potatoes are a little more difficult to come by.
You will also need:
- A chefs knife and cutting board
- Parchment paper
- Roasting pan
Tips for Roasting Sweet Potatoes
- Try to get the same diameter sweet potatoes. When roasting these sweet potatoes in the oven, a large change in diameter will cook unevenly.
- Wash the sweet potatoes. I scrub the outside of the sweet potato skin really well if I'm planning on eating the skins.
- Leave the skins on. The skins create a barrier when roasting which semi-steams the center of the sweet potato. You can remove the skins easily once the sweet potatoes have cooked. They just peel off.
- Roast with skins on top. Keeping the skins on top help with that barrier for steaming the inside of the sweet potato. Also, if it's more forgiving when roasting in the oven. So if you slightly overcook the sweet potatoes, you won't be able to tell.
- Use parchment paper. The parchment paper keeps the sweet potatoes from sticking to the pan, so you don't need to use olive oil or butter.
- Roast until fork-tender. I remove the sweet potatoes from the oven whenever I can easily pierce the sweet potato in its thickest section. I look for the fattest sweet potato on the pan and stab it right in the middle.
- Adjust the timing. There is no real set time for this recipe as it depends on the type of sweet potato and size. I usually end up roasting my pan of sweet potatoes for anywhere from 35 minutes to 1 hour.
How To Roast Evenly
The key for oven-roasted sweet potatoes is to cut them into wedges so that the sweet potato will roast evenly. First, cut the sweet potato in half longways. Then, cut the sweet potato into 2" (5 cm) or 3" (7.5 cm) sections.
How To Eat
I recommend eating these sweet potatoes 2 ways:
- As is. Remove the skins (or not) and eat as many as you want.
- Remove the skins and mash the sweet potato. Make a sweet potato almond butter bowl.
Are Sweet Potatoes Gluten-Free?
Yes! Sweet potatoes do not contain any gluten making this delicious breakfast or snack completely gluten-free.
How Many Sweet Potatoes Are In A Cup?
If you mash these roasted sweet potatoes, it ends up being about 185 grams or 6.5 ounces in weight of sweet potatoes.
Calories In Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
If you can eat 1 pound of sweet potatoes, you will consume less than 400 calories. I recommend eating an 8 ounce serving which is around 200 calories.
How To Store and Reheat
Store sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat one serving of the sweet potato wedges in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute.
Sweet Potato Recipes
Join the Tribe
Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
- 3 lbs orange sweet potatoes
- Set the oven to 400℉ (205 ℃). Wash sweet potatoes well. Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges.
- In a roasting pan, add a layer of parchment paper. Place the sweet potatoes skin up in the roasting pan.
- Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven for 35 minutes to an hour (depending on the sweet potato and size) or until a fork can easily pierce the largest sweet potato wedge.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once the sweet potatoes have cooled, they can be put in an airtight container in the fridge.