This salad is so simple and delicious, you are going to love it! Any time I make mujadarrah, I make this salad to go along with it. It's made with shredded cabbage and a garlicky lemon olive oil salad dressing. That's it!
I really enjoy making simple recipes, and this is one of them. It's not a recipe I developed myself- it's actually a recipe I've had pretty much weekly while growing up. I have 3 other siblings and my mother worked, so she didn't have much time to make these really elaborate weeknight meals. This was one of those easy recipes that could go with some baked chicken, fish, or mujadarrah dish.
- White Cabbage: I use round white cabbage for this recipe. It's possible to use purple cabbage as well, or a mix of white and purple cabbage. Also, shredded coleslaw salad bags are suitable to use for this recipe.
- Fresh Garlic: I use fresh garlic cloves for this recipe. Because the garlic is going in the salad dressing, the garlic needs to be mashed with salt using a mortar and pestle. Another option for preparing the garlic is to use a garlic press. My personal preference is to mash the garlic as finely as possible. Otherwise, you will get little bits and pieces of garlic chunks in your salad which is not desirable, unless you are like my father who pops garlic cloves like M&Ms.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: I prefer to squeeze the lemons fresh. Lime juice is not a great substitute for this salad dressing. I don't like using any sort of lemon or lime juice from a pre-packaged bottle because it tastes different.
- Olive Oil: I like using high-quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt: Any kind of salt is suitable for this dish.
Tips and Tricks
- Make the salad dressing independent from the cabbage. Once the salad dressing is finished, mix it with the shredded cabbage. This ensures that the mashed garlic gets evenly distributed.
- Don't shred the cabbage too finely. Very fine shredded cabbage doesn't have the right texture for this salad. The finest I would shred the cabbage is what you might do for coleslaw.
- Don't shred the cabbage too thickly. Anything larger than the shredded cabbage in the image below is a bit too big.
- Use fresh lemon juice. Because we are making the salad dressing from scratch, it's really important to use fresh ingredients. This salad dressing is only made of mashed garlic, salt, lemon juice, and olive oil, so it's very easy to make. I keep fresh lemons on hand always.
- Use fresh garlic. I do not recommend using jarred minced garlic for this recipe, because the garlic needs to be mashed extremely finely. I prefer how fresh garlic tastes, but I grew up eating fresh garlic a lot.
How To Shred Cabbage
Shredding cabbage is very easy to do with a knife and cutting board. Make sure the knife is sharp prior to shredding the cabbage. Cut the cabbage head in half and remove the stem. Place the flat side down on the cutting board. Start chopping very fine sections from one side to the other. Here's a very simple video explaining how to shred the cabbage.
Alternatively, you can buy pre-shredded cabbage or use an automated shredder.
Try This Cabbage Salad With
- Yassmine's Roasted Lamb Shanks
- Crispy Chicken Thighs
- Mujadarrah Lebanese Lentils and Rice with Caramelized Onions
- Chicken Musakhan Rolls
- Baked Falafel