These crispy roasted bone-in chicken thighs are slow-roasted over a bed of Yukon gold potatoes. They come out of the oven with a crispy, garlic and herb-crusted skin and moist falling off the bone tender chicken. Did I mention the buttery flavorful chicken-infused tender golden potatoes? I don't know what's the best part of this one-pan meal.
What I Love About This Recipe
I love that these crispy chicken thighs are slow-roasted atop golden sliced potatoes. All of the flavors infuse together with the herb seasoning, crispy moist chicken, and the buttery soft potatoes. I'm a big fan of one-pan meals, and this my friend, is a one-pan meal that is super simple and delicious.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Chicken thighs: You will need to get chicken thighs with the bone-in and skin. My favorite is the organic air-chilled chicken thighs. As you can tell from the pictures, my organic chicken thighs are a lot smaller than the growth hormone pumped up chicken thighs.
- Potatoes and/or Carrots: I made this recipe with just potatoes, but it goes really well with carrots as well. I peel and slice the potatoes into thin circles. If using carrots, I recommend baby carrots that are sliced in half.
- Fat: This recipe uses olive oil and butter, however, you can mix things up a bit and use coconut oil and/or ghee.
- Herbs: If you have access to fresh herbs, then go fresh! Dried herbs are optional if fresh herbs are not available. For this specific recipe, I use a mixture of fresh and dried herbs.
- Other Seasonings: I crush my garlic with salt using a mortar and pestle. I recommend using a whole large juicy lemon for this recipe. My favorite salt is flaked sea salt. Also, I crush my pepper fresh.
How to Make Crispy Roasted Chicken Thighs
Marinate the chicken. Add crushed garlic, olive oil, butter, and rosemary into a large bowl. Mix the marinade with the chicken thighs in a large bowl.
Prepare the potatoes. Peel and chop the potatoes into thin circles.
Assemble the pan. Layer the potatoes on the bottom. Add some salt and pepper. Place the chicken thighs on top of the potatoes. Add salt, pepper, dried thyme, and dried basil. Squeeze one whole lemon on top of the chicken thighs and potatoes.
Bake. Heat the oven to 325℉ (162℃) or 300℉ (150℃) convection baking with a fan. Cook the chicken covered with foil for 1.5 hours. Remove the foil and continue cooking for another hour. The chicken is finished when the skins are crispy and the potatoes are easy to pierce with a fork.
Tips and Tricks
- Buy bone-in with skin chicken thighs. The best part of this recipe is the flavor-infused herb crusted crispy skin.
- Cook low and slow. This recipe takes about 2.5 hours of baking at a low temperature. This is the key for very tender and juicy chicken thighs.
- Cooking time may vary. Depending on your oven, the cooking time may vary slightly.
Substitutions and Variations
- Vary this recipe by changing up the cooking oil and herbs. Sometimes I will mix the olive oil and butter with some ghee or coconut oil to get a little bit different flavor.
- Another way to vary this recipe is by adding a variety of chopped fresh herbs. If you have some fresh oregano and thyme, you can substitute those herbs for the fresh rosemary. Or you can add a mixture of herbs altogether. The key with fresh herbs is not to exceed the total quantity for the recipe, so for this recipe, it will be not exceeding 2 tablespoon of fresh herbs or 1 tablespoon of dried herbs. Otherwise, the herbs will be too overpowering.
- Large oven baking pan: I recommend something at least 2" deep.
- Parchment paper: This helps make clean up a breeze.
- Large mixing bowl: To marinate the chicken thighs.
- Mortar and pestle: This is the best way to crush garlic in my opinion.
- Potato peeler
- Chef's knife and cutting board
Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Shish Tawook Lebanese Chicken Kabobs
- Baked Chicken Thighs and Turmeric Basmati Rice
- Baked Chicken Wings With Shawarma Seasoning
- Indian Chicken Biryani Rice
- Baked Chicken Kafta Patties
- Chicken Freekeh Pilaf
- Musakhan Palestinian Sumac Chicken Rolls
- Egyptian Minced Molokhia with Roasted Chicken
- Lebanese Chicken and Rice (Riz a Djej)