My friend, Farida, was kind enough to share with me this recipe for Mediterranean black olive tapenade spread after I ate the whole bowl at her home. Funny enough, she brought me another bowl when they visited us for dinner, and I consumed that all by my lonesome as well.
After she told me the recipe for this black olive tapenade goddess dip, I thought the rest of the world should get their olive spread on too.
Why are olives so divine? I don't know, but if you are looking for some olive inspirations check out the 31 Olive Recipes for "All Of You" Olive Lovers out there. I know, I know I just couldn't help myself with the title of the article.
Anyways, back to business. This olive tapenade is worth trying.
What is Tapenade?
Tapenade is a thick paste made traditionally from black olives, however more contemporary tapenade recipes use green olives instead. A tapenade is salty and can be made with a variety of ingredients including anchovies and capers.
Tapenade originated in France, but can be found all along the Mediterranean.
We've put together a complete guide to black and green olives if you want to know a little more about the different types of olives and olive origins.
Ingredients for Black Olive Tapenade
- Black sliced olives: I bought my olives in a jar already sliced and pitted. The sliced olives look similar to pizza black olives, so you can't miss them at the grocery store.
- Garlic: You just need 1 clove of fresh garlic.
- Some EVOO: You need just a little bit of high-quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt: Just a pinch of salt to tie everything together.
Tips for This Black Olive Tapenade Recipe
- Rinse the olives after you drain them from the can/jar.
- Chop the fresh garlic a little bit prior to adding to the food processor (to reduce the chances of a single chunk of garlic landing in your mouth)
- Blend then stop and scrape the sides of the food processor a few times (to make sure you get everything pulsed evenly).
- Do not add any liquid or water to the tapenade. The food processor should give an olive tapenade consistency like below.
What to Eat with Olive Tapenade?
Olive tapenade is usually served as a dip, and being a dip, can be eaten with a variety of things like:
- Chips: fried pita chips, baked pita chips, or tortilla chips
- Bread: Homemade french bread, whole wheat toast, toasted croissants, pita bread, Algerian Kesra flatbread, the list is endless
Black Olive Tapenade on French Bread
The way I chose to eat this olive tapenade is on some slices of a french baguette. I just sliced the bread in 1" (2.5 cm) sections, then lathered on the olive spread tapenade.
Olive Tapenade with a Fried Egg
Another way I've enjoyed this olive tapenade this week (I made a lot), was on some whole-wheat toast topped with an egg. Toast 2 slices of whole wheat bread. Add a layer of olive tapenade. Top each toast with a fried or poached egg (2 eggs total).
How to Store Homemade Black Olive Spread Tapenade
Store the black olive spread tapenade in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. I do not recommend storing tapenade in the freezer or leaving it out on the counter.
Some Other Dips To Try
- 5 Minute Hummus
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Homemade Hummus without Tahini
- Baba Ganoush
- The Best Lebanese Toum
- Homemade Labneh from the Mountains of Lebanon
- Holy Moly Guacamole
- Roasted Chunky Pineapple Salsa
Oh fancy! This Mediterranean black olive tapenade spread feels a little luxurious to say out loud. This recipe is 4 ingredients and made within 5 minutes.
- 2 cups of sliced black olives
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of salt (or to taste)
- Drain sliced black olives.
- Rinse with water using a strainer.
- Peel and chop the garlic.
- Add the chopped garlic, sliced black olives, olive oil, and salt to a food processor. Blend on high.
- Stop the blender and scrape the sides. Blend on high.
- Store the black olive spread tapenade in an airtight container or enjoy right away!
- The olive spread can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Category: Dip
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: Algerian
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 130
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 500 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: black olive spread tapenade, homemade olive tapenade, black olive spread, Algerian olive tapenade