I don't know what it is, but when you say coconut milk, lentils, and curry in the same sentence, my taste buds start to wake up. This curry lentil soup with vegetables is so alive and jam-packed with nutrition.
I have a toddler at home, and sometimes I struggle with finding ways for her to eat her vegetables. She absolutely loves this soup with a little bit of rice.
Ingredients You'll Need:
- Red dried lentils: I get just the regular red lentils at the grocery store.
- Vegetables: I use onion, carrot, white potatoes, fresh ginger, and fresh garlic for this soup.
- Coconut Milk: I use one can of coconut milk, but you can use ½ the can if you prefer a less creamy soup.
- Curry Powder: This magical powder is yellow-orange in color. You can find it in the seasoning section of your grocery store.
- Broth or Bouillon: Whatever you have on hand will work. You can use chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water and a bouillon cube.
- Fresh Lemon: Make sure your lemons are fresh and not the bottled stuff.
- Salt and pepper to taste
You will also need:
- Chef's knife and cutting board
- Vegetable Peeler
- Can Opener
- Crock-Pot or Stovetop Pot
- Hand Immersion Blender
- Lemon Squeezer
- Wooden Spatula
How to Make Curry Lentil Soup
Add diced onions, ginger, garlic, carrots, potatoes, lentils, curry powder, and vegetable stock to the Crock-Pot or stovetop pot.
If using the Crock-Pot, the soup will be ready in 4 hours if using high heat and 8 hours if using low heat.
If using a stovetop pot, bring the soup to a boil, then cover and reduce to medium-high heat. Cook for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Blend the soup with a handheld immersion blender. Add the can of coconut milk, juice of one lemon, salt, and pepper. Give it all a good stir and enjoy!
What are the Calories for Curry Lentil Soup?
For this specific recipe, there are 400 calories in a 3 cup bowl of soup. For more nutrition facts refer to the recipe card.
Can this Recipe be Made in an Instant Pot?
Yes! You can make this recipe using the slow cooker function in an instant pot. Alternatively, you can also cook this recipe using the pressure cook function by setting the Instant Pot to high for about 20 minutes.
How to Store Curry Lentil Soup
- Freezer Storage: Allow the soup to cool down to room temperature. Pour the soup into a gallon-sized freezer-friendly bag. Add the date on the bag to keep for reference. Make sure the bag is fully sealed. Lentil soup can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Fridge Storage: Store the soup in a sealable container for up to 5 days.
- Reheat: Lentil soup can be reheated on the stovetop or in the microwave using a microwave-safe bowl.
What Goes With Curry Lentil Soup?
This curry lentil soup recipe with vegetables is a great light lunch option on its own. You can add some toasted bread to go along with it.
Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
- 1 large onion
- 6 whole carrots
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 7 garlic cloves
- 1½ cups dry red lentils
- 3 white potatoes
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 quart vegetable broth or equal parts water with a bouillon cube
- 12 ounces canned coconut milk about 12 ounces
- 1 whole lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop onion, garlic, and ginger. Peel and chop the carrots and potatoes.
- Add onions, garlic, ginger, carrots, potatoes, lentils, curry powder, and vegetable broth to a pot.
- If using a slow-cooker, cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- If using a stovetop pot, cook on medium-high heat covered for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Using a handheld blender, blend the ingredients.
- Add the coconut milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the juice from 1 large lemon.
- The cook times below are for the stovetop method.
- The soup reheats well for about 5 days.