This four-layer chocolate pudding dessert, also known by many other names like chocolate delight, chocolate yummy, and mountain mama, is one of my favorite desserts as a kid. This dessert is made with four creamy layers: a pecan shortbread crust, sweet cream cheese, chocolate pudding, and homemade whip cream on top. This chocolate delight dessert is always a hit on special occasions.
Any friend, family member, or enemy that has tried this dessert has gone back for seconds. It seems like a relatively simple chocolate pudding dessert, but it's much more than that. It's the layers of creamy goodness, kind of like a chocolate lasagna, that make this chocolate delight so yummy.
Another one of my favorite pudding desserts is this banana pudding with vanilla wafers. Oh god, it's so good!
What I Love About This Recipe
This layered chocolate pudding dessert is AMAZING. It's hard not to eat the whole thing in one sitting. I like to get a little bit of each layer in every single bite. The combination of the layers is what makes this recipe so good.
Butter pecan crust: The bottom layer (or first layer) of this layered pudding dessert is a buttery pecan crust made with all-purpose flour, chopped pecans, and salted butter.
Cream cheese layer: The second layer is a cream cheese layer made with cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, whipping cream, and vanilla extract. I prefer to use full-fat cream cheese.
Chocolate pudding layer: The third layer is a pudding layer made with instant chocolate pudding, instant vanilla pudding, and milk. Use whole milk, 2% milk, or fat-free milk. Get the large pudding mix size that's 5.9-ounce box.
Whipped cream layer: heavy cream, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla extract.
See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for quantities.
How To Make Chocolate Delight
This chocolate delight yummy dessert is very easy to make, however, it has a few layers. Make the buttery shortbread crust first, and while it's cooling, prepare the other 3 layers: rich chocolate pudding layer, sweetened cream cheese filling, and homemade whipped cream (or use cool whip to save time).
Once the layers are all made, assemble the 4-layer chocolate delight. I've broken the steps down below in the sequence I recommend making this recipe.
Make The Butter Pecan Crust
Heat the oven to 350℉ (175℃). In a medium bowl, combine flour and chopped pecans. Melt the butter in the microwave (about 30 seconds). Pour the melted butter onto the chopped pecans and flour.
Mix until well combined.
Press the butter pecan dough into a 9" x 13" glass baking dish. The butter pecan dough is a very thin layer about ¼" to ½" (about 1 cm) thick.
Place the baking dish in the middle rack of a 350℉ (175℃) oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove the baking pecan crust from the oven and allow it to cool completely while preparing the other layers.
Cream Cheese, Pudding, and Whipped Cream Layers
In a large bowl add the vanilla and chocolate pudding packet. Measure out the milk.
Using a whisk, mix until the pudding thickens up (about 5 minutes). Set it aside.
Hint: The pudding package will call for 6 cups total, however, this pudding dessert needs less milk in order to form a more robust middle section.
In a second large bowl, add softened cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract.
Using an electric mixer, mix the ingredients together. Set aside.
Hint: Stop whipping the cream cheese once it has a cake frosting-like texture.
In a third large bowl, add the remaining whipping cream, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla extract.
Using a hand mixer, whip the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Set the homemade whipping cream aside.
Assemble The Four Layer Dessert
Scoop the cream cheese layer onto the cooled crust.
The crust is very crumbly, so when spreading the cream cheese layer expect pecan crumbs to intermix.
Scoop the chocolate pudding onto the cream cheese mixture. Spread the pudding mixture into an even layer.
On top of the pudding layer, add the whipped cream.
Add some chopped pecans on top. Put the chocolate delight yummy dessert in the fridge for 1 hour to set it prior to serving.
Tips and Tricks
- Weigh out the flour for the butter pecan crust. I weigh the flour instead of measuring flour because it can overpack into a measuring cup very easily.
- Make thick chocolate pudding. Use 1 cup to 1.5 cups less milk for the pudding layer than what's recommended on the box.
- Make ahead. This is the perfect make-ahead dessert for family gatherings or holidays.
Variations and Substitutions
- Substitute cool whip for homemade whipped cream. I prefer making homemade whip cream, but store-bought cool whip or store-bought whipped cream works.
- Make your own chocolate pudding. I like the convenience of using the pudding packets, however, you can make a chocolate pudding from scratch.
- Add some shredded coconut to the butter and pecan dough. Prior to forming the butter pecan dough into the baking dish, add some sweetened shredded coconut.
- Add chocolate shavings on top.
Prepare this chocolate delight yummy dessert in a 9" x 13" baking dish. You will need 3 large bowls to prepare the cream cheese layer, chocolate pudding layer, and whipped cream layer. The chocolate pudding is mixed with a hand whisk. The cream cheese layer and whipped cream are made using an electric hand mixer.
This chocolate pudding dessert can be made ahead by 2 days. Store in the fridge with a plastic wrap cover for up to 5 days. I do not recommend heating this dish nor storing it in a freezer.
A 5.9 oz box of Jell-O instant pudding mix makes 6.5 cups of pudding per package.
Whipped cream is made of heavy whipping cream, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla extract.
My Favorite Desserts
Join The Tribe
Subscribe to The Matbakh Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, or Pinterest pages. We also have a saucy newsletter.
Chocolate Delight Yummy Dessert (4-Layer Pudding Dessert)
Butter Pecan Crust
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup flour
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 ounces full-fat cream cheese
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Pudding Layer
- 1 large chocolate pudding 5.9 oz box that makes 6.5 cups of pudding
- 1 large vanilla pudding 5.9 oz. box that makes 6.5 cups of pudding
- 4½ cups milk 2%, whole, or fat-free
Whipped Cream Topping
- 3½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make The Butter Pecan Crust
- Heat the oven to 350℉ (175℃).
- Soften the butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Mix the pecans, flour, and butter together in a bowl.
- Press the pecan dough into a thin layer in a 9" x 13" pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the oven or until the crust is golden. Remove from the oven and allow the butter pecan crust to cool.
Make The Other Layers
- In a large bowl, make the pudding layer. Add the chocolate pudding, vanilla pudding, and 4.5 cups of milk. Whisk everything together by hand until the pudding thickens up (about 5 minutes). Set aside. See note 1.
- In a second large bowl, make the cream cheese layer. Add the cream cheese, vanilla extract, confectioner's sugar, and heavy whipping cream. Using a hand mixer, beat the contents until the cream cheese mixture thickens. Set aside.
- In a third large bowl, make the whipped cream layer. Add the rest of the quart of heavy whipping cream. Add the vanilla extract and confectioner's sugar. Beat the whipped cream using a hand mixer until peaks form.
Assemble The Chocolate Delight Yummy Dessert
- Once the butter pecan layer has cooled, scoop the cream cheese layer onto the crust. The crust is very crumbly, so when spreading the cream cheese layer expect pecan crumbs to intermix.
- Scoop the chocolate pudding layer evenly onto the cream cheese mixture. Evenly spread the pudding.
- Add the whipped cream layer on top.
- Add some chopped pecans on top.
- Put the chocolate delight yummy dessert in the fridge for 1 hour to set it prior to serving.
- The pudding box calls for 6 cups of milk for both pudding boxes (3 cups for each box), however, we need a thicker pudding mixture. Make sure to only add 4.5 cups of milk so that the pudding layer will be thick.
- 1 cup of flour weighs 120 grams. I like to use a kitchen scale to measure out flour.
Oh yum! Such a fun dessert! I love all the layers and the flavors sound so refreshing.
I love this sort of smooshy, mooshy, cloud-like dessert! Yum!
Thank you Kate!
dina and bruce miller
So easy! So tasty, love the crust!!
Thank you Dina!
Can I use milk in the cream cheese layer instead of heavy cream? I'm using cool whip instead making my own and I do not have heavy cream at the moment.
Hi Rachel, yes you can sub equal parts milk for heavy cream!
This was so light and creamy. A really incredible texture.
Thank you for the comment- it's one of my favorite desserts!
This turned out really good, loved the recipe. Will surely make it again.
I enjoyed this pudding dessert and so did my kids. Made this dessert using cool whip and walnuts instead of pecans.