This four-layer chocolate pudding dessert, also known by many other names like chocolate delight, chocolate yummy, and mountain mama, is one of my favorite desserts as a kid. This dessert is made with four layers: a base butter pecan crust, sweet cream cheese, chocolate pudding, and homemade whip cream on top. Because this dessert is so good, I'm going to call it a chocolate delight yummy dessert.
Any friend, family member, or enemy that has tried this dessert has gone back for seconds. It seems like a relatively simple chocolate pudding dessert, but it's much more than that. It's the layers of creamy goodness that add depth of flavor to this chocolate delight yummy.
What I Love About This Recipe
This layered chocolate pudding dessert is AMAZING. It's hard not to eat the whole thing in one sitting. I like to get a little bit of each layer in every single bite. The combination of the layers is what makes this recipe so good.
Butter pecan crust: all-purpose flour, chopped pecans, and salted butter.
Cream cheese layer: cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, whipping cream, and vanilla extract. I prefer to use full-fat cream cheese.
Chocolate pudding layer: pudding mixture and 2% milk (or full fat). I prefer to use instant pudding mixes. Get the large pudding mix size.
Whipped cream layer: heavy whipping cream, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla extract.
See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for quantities.
How To Make A Four Layer Chocolate Delight
This chocolate delight yummy dessert is very easy to make, however, it has a few layers. Make the butter pecan crust first, and while it's cooling, prepare the other 3 layers: chocolate pudding, sweetened cream cheese, and whipped cream.
Once the layers are all made, assemble the chocolate delight yummy. I've broken the steps down below in the sequence I recommend making this recipe.
Make The Butter Pecan Crust
Heat the oven to 350℉ (175℃). In a bowl, measure out 1 cup of chopped pecans. Weigh 120 grams of flour using a kitchen scale, or alternatively, measure out 1 cup of flour. Melt the stick of butter (113 grams) in the microwave for 30 seconds. Pour the melted butter onto the chopped pecans and flour. Mix until well combined.
Press the butter pecan dough into a 9" x 13" glass baking dish. The butter pecan dough is a very thin layer about ¼" to ½" (about 1 cm) thick.
Place the baking dish in the middle rack of a 350℉ (175℃) oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove the baking pecan crust from the oven and allow it to cool completely while preparing the other layers.
Cream Cheese, Pudding, and Whipped Cream Layers
In a large bowl add the vanilla and chocolate pudding packet. Measure out 4.5 cups of milk. Using a whisk, mix until the pudding thickens up (about 5 minutes). Set it aside.
Hint: The pudding package will call for 6 cups total, however, this pudding dessert needs less milk in order to form a more robust middle section.
In a second large bowl, add the 8 oz. package of cream cheese, ½ cup of confectioner's sugar, ½ cup of heavy whipping cream, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Using a hand mixer, whip the ingredients together. Set the cream cheese
Hint: Stop whipping the cream cheese once it has a cake frosting-like texture.
In a third large bowl, add the remaining quart of heavy whipping cream, ½ cup of confectioner's sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Using a hand mixer, whip the whipping cream until peaks form. Set the homemade whipping cream aside.
Assemble The Four Layer Chocolate Yummy
Once the butter pecan layer has cooled, scoop the cream cheese layer onto the crust. The crust is very crumbly, so when spreading the cream cheese layer expect pecan crumbs to intermix.
Scoop the chocolate pudding layer evenly onto the cream cheese mixture. Evenly spread the pudding. Add the whipped cream layer on top.
Add some chopped pecans on top. Put the chocolate delight yummy dessert in the fridge for 1 hour to set it prior to serving.
Tips and Tricks
- Weigh out the flour for the butter pecan crust. I weigh the flour instead of measuring flour because it can overpack into a measuring cup very easily.
- Make thick chocolate pudding. Use 1 cup to 1.5 cups less milk for the pudding layer than what's recommended on the box.
- Make ahead. This is the perfect make-ahead dessert for family gatherings or holidays.
Variations and Substitutions
- Substitute cool whip for homemade whipped cream. I prefer making homemade whip cream, but store-bought cool whip or store-bought whipped cream work.
- Make your own chocolate pudding. I like the convenience of using the pudding packets, however, you can make a chocolate pudding from scratch.
- Add some shredded coconut into the butter and pecan dough. Prior to forming the butter pecan dough into the baking dish, add some sweetened shredded coconut.
Prepare this chocolate delight yummy dessert in a 9" x 13" baking dish. You will need 3 large bowls to prepare the cream cheese layer, chocolate pudding layer, and whipped cream layer. The chocolate pudding is mixed with a hand whisk. The cream cheese layer and whipped cream are made using an electric hand mixer.
This chocolate pudding dessert can be made ahead by 2 days. Store in the fridge with a plastic wrap cover for up to 5 days. I do not recommend heating this dish nor storing it in a freezer.
A 5.9 oz box of Jell-O instant pudding mix makes 6.5 cups of pudding per package.
Whipped cream is made of heavy whipping cream, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla extract.
My Favorite Desserts
Join The Tribe
Chocolate Delight Yummy Dessert
Butter Pecan Crust
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup flour 120 grams
- 8 tablespoons salted butter (a whole stick)
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 ounces full-fat cream cheese
- ½ cup of confectioner's sugar
- ½ cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Pudding Layer
- 1 large chocolate pudding 5.9 oz box that makes 6.5 cups of pudding
- 1 large vanilla pudding 5.9 oz. box that makes 6.5 cups of pudding
- 4½ cups of milk 2% or fat-free
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 quart of heavy whipping cream will be ½ cup less
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make The Butter Pecan Crust
- Heat the oven to 350℉ (175℃).
- Soften the butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Mix the pecans, flour, and butter together in a bowl.
- Press the pecan dough into a thin layer in a 9" x 13" pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the oven or until the crust is golden. Remove from the oven and allow the butter pecan crust to cool.
Make The Other Layers
- In a large bowl, make the pudding layer. Add the chocolate pudding, vanilla pudding, and 4.5 cups of milk. Whisk everything together by hand until the pudding thickens up (about 5 minutes). Set aside. See note 1.
- In a second large bowl, make the cream cheese layer. Add the cream cheese, vanilla extract, confectioner's sugar, and heavy whipping cream. Using a hand mixer, beat the contents until the cream cheese mixture thickens. Set aside.
- In a third large bowl, make the whipped cream layer. Add the rest of the quart of heavy whipping cream. Add the vanilla extract and confectioner's sugar. Beat the whipped cream using a hand mixer until peaks form.
Assemble The Chocolate Delight Yummy Dessert
- Once the butter pecan layer has cooled, scoop the cream cheese layer onto the crust. The crust is very crumbly, so when spreading the cream cheese layer expect pecan crumbs to intermix.
- Scoop the chocolate pudding layer evenly onto the cream cheese mixture. Evenly spread the pudding.
- Add the whipped cream layer on top.
- Add some chopped pecans on top.
- Put the chocolate delight yummy dessert in the fridge for 1 hour to set it prior to serving.
- The pudding box calls for 6 cups of milk for both pudding boxes (3 cups for each box), however, we need a thicker pudding mixture. Make sure to only add 4.5 cups of milk so that the pudding layer will be thick.