Bananas Foster smoothie is a banana smoothie made with caramel dates, creamy bananas, cashews, milk, and spiced with nutmeg and cinnamon. It's like Bananas Foster dessert but in smoothie form. It's quick, creamy, and delicious.
Bananas Foster was created at Brennan's restaurant in 1951. Brennan's owner, Owen Brennan, challenged his chef, Paul Blange, to create a dish featuring bananas. Paul created quite the dish known as Bananas Foster, the most-ordered item on the menu. Bananas Foster was named after Richard Foster, a friend of Owen Brennan.
What I Love About This Recipe
I love that this banana smoothie tastes like a milkshake dessert. It's creamy, sweet, and easy to make. Customize this creamy smoothie by substituting walnuts, almonds, or macadamia nuts.
Make this smoothie vegan by using almond milk, cashew milk, or oat milk. The best thing about this smoothie is that I always have these ingredients on hand. I can even turn this smoothie into a protein shake by adding a scoop of vanilla protein powder.
- Frozen bananas: I always have peeled frozen bananas on hand because they are the base of all of my smoothies. Frozen bananas make smoothies really creamy, and I prefer using frozen bananas instead of ice cubes. It's very easy to freeze your own bananas by peeling a ripe banana and storing it in a freezer-friendly ziploc bag in the freezer. It typically takes about 4 hours for the bananas to freeze.
- Milk: I use cow's milk for this Bananas Foster banana smoothie, however cashew milk, oat milk, and homemade almond milk are all great vegan substitutes.
- Shredded coconut: I really like the coconut flavor, however if you are not a big coconut fan, you can omit this ingredient.
- Medjool dates: Medjool dates add caramel flavor like the spiced caramel flambe in Bananas Foster.
See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for quantities.
How To Make A Creamy Banana Smoothie
Pit the Medjool date. Add all of the ingredients into the blender. Blend the smoothie on high until smooth.
Pour immediately into your container of choice.
Tips and Tricks
The biggest tip for making a creamy Bananas Foster banana smoothie is to use frozen bananas. Frozen bananas combined with milk create a milkshake flavor without the added ice cream.
A second tip is using a Medjool date to sweeten the banana smoothie. You can omit the Medjool date or add two or three dates if you like. The Medjool date controls the sweetness of the smoothie, so if you would like a sweeter banana smoothie, add more dates.
Variations and Substitutions
There are many ways to customize this Bananas Foster banana smoothie. Here are some of my favorite ways to vary up this banana smoothie recipe.
- Substitute the nuts - Add almonds, walnuts, pecans, or macadamia nuts in lieu of cashews.
- Make vegan - Substitute the cow's milk for almond milk, cashew milk, oat milk, or any other vegan milk alternative.
- Omit the shredded coconut - The shredded coconut can be omitted completely if you don't have any on hand.
- Turn this smoothie into a creamy protein shake by adding protein powder. Protein shakes have a lot of benefits, even on rest days. They are easy to make by just adding protein powder to a smoothie.
This smoothie tastes the best drinking it right away. However, if you want to prepare this the night before, it can store in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
Bananas Foster smoothie is an excellent choice for using a banana in a smoothie.
It's simple to freeze bananas for smoothies. Peel a ripe banana split it into halves or quarters, and stick it in a freezer-friendly Ziploc bag. Place the Ziploc bag in the freezer until the banana freezes (about 4 hours).
Freeze bananas without the peel for the easiest way to use the banana in a smoothie.
Join The Tribe
Bananas Foster Banana Smoothie
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup milk
- 10 cashews
- 3 tablespoon of shredded coconut
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Medjool date
- pinch salt
- Pit the Medjool date. Add all of the ingredients to the blender.
- Blend on high.
- Substitute oat milk, cashew milk, or almond milk for cow's milk to make vegan.
- Substitute almonds, macadamia nuts, pecans, or walnuts in lieu of cashews.