Did I ever mention how I love quinoa salads? I am always looking for a good quinoa salad recipe because let’s face it, quinoa salads are a great, healthy, meal prep recipe. This quinoa chickpea salad has spinach, lentils, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, and a pomegranate vinaigrette dressing.
The inspiration for this salad is “The Third Place Vegan Salad” at Third Place Cafe in Abu Dhabi, UAE. If you are ever in Abu Dhabi, you really need to visit this little coffee shop and try this salad.
This specific recipe is not an exact copy, but more of a simplified version. The original Third Place Cafe recipe has beets, artichoke palm hearts, avocado, walnuts, and pomegranate seeds. I love all of those ingredients, however, sometimes I don’t have them all on hand. The base of this recipe is without those ingredients, but you can choose to add them in if you like.
How Do You Make Quinoa Chickpea Salad?
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Here’s how to make quinoa chickpea salad.
- Prepare the lentils, chickpeas, and quinoa.
Add brown lentils, canned chickpeas, and dry quinoa to the same pot of boiling water. Cook for 15 minutes. Drain the lentils, quinoa, and chickpeas using a strainer. Return to the pot and cover for 5 minutes. Place lentils, chickpeas, and quinoa in an open bowl in the fridge to cool off quickly.
- Wash and chop the tomatoes, cucumber, and baby spinach.
- Prepare the pomegranate dressing.
In a separate bowl, add pomegranate syrup, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Assemble the salad.
Make sure that the lentils, chickpeas, and quinoa are cool. Mix the chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, baby spinach, and pomegranate dressing.
How to Meal Prep the Quinoa Chickpea Salad?
The key to a fresh-tasting salad is only mixing the amount you will eat immediately. I store the salad ingredients in 3 separate containers, then mix them together right before eating:
- the lentils, quinoa, and chickpea mixture
- the pomegranate salad dressing
- the cucumber, tomato, and baby spinach
Keep in mind that the salad dressing will need about 15 minutes at room temperature if stored in the fridge for the olive oil to return to it’s normal oily state.
You can mix these ingredients altogether 5 hours prior, so if you wanted to eat this salad at lunch, you can mix it in the morning.
What is Pomegranate Molasses?
Pomegranate molasses or pomegranate syrup is frequently used in Middle Eastern dishes and it’s derived from pomegranate juice. It’s viscous, sweet, and tangy, and it can be made at home from pomegranate juice if you don’t have access to the pomegranate molasses at your grocery store.
Pomegranate molasses can be found in most Middle Eastern grocery stores. Here are some other ways of using pomegranate molasses (in case you buy a whole bottle).
If you don’t want to mess with making pomegranate molasses or finding pomegranate molasses, still try this recipe but substitute honey.
Is Quinoa Healthier Than Rice?
Quinoa is higher in protein and fiber and is lower in carbohydrates than white rice, making it a healthier choice in comparison. However, both rice and quinoa are gluten-free alternatives to wheat.
How Long Does Quinoa Salad Last?
If storing this salad separately as recommended, then the quinoa chickpea salad will be fresh for about 4 to 5 days. I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
What Goes Good with Quinoa Chickpea Salad?
This meal can be eaten on it’s own, or if you would like to add some protein try one of the following recipes:Print
Here’s a quick and filling quinoa chickpea salad recipe with spinach. I meal prep this salad ahead of time and assemble the bowl prior to eating.
- 1 can of chickpeas (15 oz.)
- 1 cup of dried quinoa
- 3/4 cup of dried brown lentils
- Pre-washed baby spinach (16 oz. container)
- 3 Persian cucumbers or 3/4 English cucumber
- 24 grape tomatoes
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp of pomegranate molasses
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the Quinoa, Lentils, and Chickpeas
- In a large pot of, boil water. Add dried lentils, canned chickpeas, and quinoa in the same pot.
- Cook for 15 minutes on high uncovered.
- Strain the quinoa, chickpea, and lentil mixture.
- Turn off the stovetop. Return the chickpeas, quinoa, and lentils to the pot and cover for 5 minutes.
- Place the mixture in an open bowl in the fridge. Allow cooling.
Prepare the Salad
- Wash and chop the cucumbers, grape tomatoes, and baby spinach.
- Drain well and set aside.
Prepare the Pomegranate Dressing
- In a separate bowl, add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pomegranate syrup, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Mix well.
Assemble the Salad
- Once the lentil, chickpea, and quinoa mixture had cooled completely, add it to the tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Mix in the pomegranate salad dressing.
- You can add a few optional ingredients that go well with this salad like avocado, pomegranate seeds, walnuts, artichoke hearts, and beets.
- If you don’t have pomegranate syrup, you can use honey as a substitute.
- Store salad in 3 parts if eating over several days:
- salad dressing
- quinoa, lentils, and chickpeas
- baby spinach, cucumbers, and tomatoes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3 cups
- Calories: 433
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 196 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 63 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: quinoa chickpea salad with spinach, quinoa chickpea salad avocado, quinoa chickpea salad