These refrigerator pickles are unpasteurized, so they need to be stored in the fridge and eaten within 2 weeks. Pasteurized pickled cucumbers that have a long shelf life are more involved to make and have a longer pickling time. If you want your pickles NOW, make this recipe.
A few other things I like about these no cook refrigerator pickles:
- Use a few ingredients
- Take 5 minutes
- Ready to eat in 3 hours
Every time I make a batch, they are completely gone within a couple of days.
Ingredients You'll Need:
- Cucumbers: I use Persian cucumbers for this recipe, however, English cucumbers can be used. I do not recommend using any cucumbers with thick skin.
- Garlic: I use fresh garlic for this spicy pickled Persian cucumber recipe.
- Sugar: Any type of sugar will work for this recipe. It's used to balance out the salt and vinegar.
- Salt: I use pink Himalayan salt, sea salt, or iodized salt for this recipe.
- Chili Pepper: If you want more spice, I recommend using fresh chili peppers. Remove the stem and slice them thinly. Dried red pepper flakes are a substitute for fresh chilis. If you are not big on spice, dried chili flakes and fresh chili peppers can be omitted.
- White Vinegar: I use white distilled vinegar. I have not tried making this recipe with any other type of vinegar.
- Boiling Water: This recipe calls for boiled water.
Tips for Making These Pickles
- Make ahead. These spicy pickles are relatively fast to make, however, they need a bit of time to be ready. Make sure you make these at least 3 hours ahead or preferably overnight.
- Use Persian cucumbers. The best cucumbers for this recipe are Persian cucumbers, because they are a little sweet, crunchy, and have a thin outer skin.
- Add the fresh garlic. I really like the added flavor of the fresh garlic in this recipe. It's subtle but really nice.
- Store in the fridge. These cucumbers should be stored in the fridge so they can last a long time. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, although they will probably be eaten way before then.
How to Adjust The Spicy Level?
I like my pickles to have some kick, so I chop one fresh chili per 1 lb (0.5 kg) of cucumbers. To make these refrigerator pickles spicier, double the chili amount. If you don't want any spice whatsoever at all, then omit the chili pepper flakes and fresh red chilis entirely.
What Is a Pickle?
A pickle is a cucumber preserved in vinegar or brine liquid. Pickling is the process by which food has been preserved through brine or vinegar.
Do These Pickles Need To Be Refrigerated?
Yes! These pickles require storage in an airtight container in the refrigerator because they are unpasteurized.
How Long Do These Last?
Depending on how the pickle has been preserved, it can last a very long time. These Egyptian no cook refrigerator pickles are best to eat within 2 weeks if stored properly in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
What to Eat with Spicy Egyptian Pickles
- Mulukhiyah with Roz from Scratch
- Ful Medames from Scratch
- Ful Toast
- Baked Falafel (Egyptian Ta'ameya)
- Sfiha Meat Pies
- Lebanese Falafel Patties