If avocado toast had a Middle Eastern cousin, it would be “Foul Toast”. This vegan-friendly breakfast recipe is easy to make and has a Mediterranean spin on things. Here’s my favorite recipe for ful medames (a.k.a. fava beans recipe) served up on whole-wheat toast.
What is Foul Moudamas
Foul (or ful) is fava beans or broad beans. Moudamas (or medames) is the process of how the beans are cooked.
In Arabic, fava beans are pronounced “fool” and not “fowl”. Because foul is an English spelling of an Arabic word, there are several ways you will see this word spelled in English: ful, foul, or fool (this is even more confusing in my opinion). You will also find many different spellings for moudamas or medames.
You get the point. All of these variations of spelling mean the same thing.
You can buy foul in a can, or make it from scratch using dried fava beans. For this fava beans recipe, I use a can.
How Do You Eat Ful Medames Normally?
In the Middle East, ful medames is a very common breakfast, but it varies slightly from country to country. For example, Lebanese foul has mashed garlic and Egyptian foul has ground cumin.
Either way, you serve ful medames with bread. Eat it as a stuffed pita sandwich or as a dip.
This fava beans recipe is a lighter version that’s blending the best of 3 worlds – Egypt, America, and Lebanon. I’ve added mashed garlic to represent my Lebanese side, ground cumin for my Egyptian ties, and whole-wheat toast for the American part.
How Do You Make “Foul Toast” (Fava Beans Toast Recipe)?
There is nothing fancy here really.
Prepare the foul.
Prepare the cucumber tomato mint salad.
Toast some whole-wheat sliced bread.
Spread some foul love.
Top the foul with the fresh cucumber tomato mint salad.
Drizzle some EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) on top if you fancy.
Reference the recipe card at the end of this post for ingredients and detailed step by step instructions.
Is Ful Medames Healthy?
Ful medames is vegan-friendly and packed with nutrients such as folate, manganese, iron, and potassium. For every cup of cooked fava beans, it contains 33 grams of carbs, 1 gram of fat, 13 grams of protein, and 9 grams of fiber.
On a side note, fava beans can be dangerous for people with a rare genetic disorder called G6PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency).
How Do You Make Foul from Scratch?
Making foul from scratch requires a lot of time but is fairly easy to do. You will need to soak the dried fava beans the night before, then boil the bean until they are soft. The larger the fava bean, the tougher the skin. I recommend removing the skins one by one (which is why it takes so long to prepare).
Here’s a more in depth explanation of how to prepare dried fava beans.
You can make a big batch of foul and freeze the beans for up to 3 months in an airtight bag or container.
Try This Breakfast WithPrint
If avocado toast had a Mediterranean cousin, it would be foul toast. This vegan recipe for ful medames is delicious and easy to make.
- 4 sliced bread
- Ful medames (1 can)
- Fresh mint leaves (about 10 leaves)
- 10 grape tomatoes
- 2 Persian cucumbers or 1/3 English Cucumber
- 3 garlic cloves
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon (about 3 tbsp of lemon juice)
- 1 tbsp of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Open and rinse ful medames can of beans.
- In a pot, add ful medames and water. Allow foul to boil on high for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Mash the garlic with some salt using a mortar and pestle.
- Squeeze the lemon in a bowl.
- Drain the foul beans and return them to the pot (not on the heat).
- Add the mashed garlic. Mash the foul beans and the mashed garlic together.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, and ground cumin.
Make the Cucumber Tomato Mint Salad
- Chop grape tomatoes and cucumber into small pieces.
- Chop fresh mint leaves.
Assemble the Foul Toast
- Toast the sliced bread.
- Add a layer of foul on top of the toasted bread.
- Add the cucumber tomato mint salad on the foul.
- Drizzle some EVOO.
- You can make homemade foul in a big batch and freeze it instead of using foul from a can. Soak dried fava beans overnight. Boil fava beans on high until tender (about 1 hour to 1.5 hours). Remove the outer skins. For a more in-depth explanation, click here.
- Traditional Lebanese foul moudamas does not usually have ground cumin, however, it has mashed garlic. Egyptian foul usually have ground cumin but not mashed garlic, which adds a nice dimension of flavors. The taste is awesome if you add both the smashed garlic and the ground cumin!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 2 foul toast
- Calories: 349
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 270 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 55 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: foul moudamas, ful medames, recipe for foul, ful recipe