Cookie butter rice krispie treats are a 10-minute dessert made with cookie butter, melted marshmallows, rice krispies, and brown butter. After trying (and loving) Biscoff Lotus cookie butter spread, I found a way to add it to a quick, easy, and delicious rice krispie recipe.
As a kid, I was obsessed with rice Krispie treats. My mother didn't want us to eat the packaged version, so she made her own rice Krispie treat but with peanut butter. For my daughter's second birthday, I thought it would be great to pull out the good ole family rice Krispie treat recipe. Instead of using peanut butter, I used Biscoff lotus spread, and they turned out phenomenal. This is the best rice Krispie treat recipe made with cookie butter.
What I Love About This Recipe
These Biscoff Rice Krispie treats are so easy to make. In fact, they take less than 10 minutes and only need 4 ingredients. Plus, these are a kid and family favorite.
- Rice Krispies: I use the plain Rice Krispies cereal.
- Small Marshmallows: I recommend using small marshmallows because they melt faster. Also, I add some marshmallows at the very end for pockets of yummy goodness. I haven't tried using the jar of whipped marshmallow cream, but my instincts are telling me that it won't work. I think you need marshmallows that are solid at room temperature so that the rice Krispie treats stay together.
- Butter: My favorite butter brand is Kerrygold, but any butter will work. I use salted butter in this recipe.
- Biscoff Lotus Spread or Peanut Butter: Make sure to get the creamy Biscoff Lotus spread cookie butter. If you can't find the Biscoff cookie butter, you can use nut butter instead. In my childhood, this recipe was made with peanut butter instead of Biscoff Lotus cookie butter.
How To Make Cookie Butter Rice Krispie Treats
In a large stovetop pot, melt the butter on medium heat until a golden brown. Turn the stove to medium-low heat. Add the cookie butter spread to the melted butter. Once the butter and cookie butter are melted together, add the small marshmallows. Mix together until everything is melted (about 1 minute), and remove from the heat.
Add the Rice Krispies, stirring continuously until the cookie butter marshmallows are blended well with the Rice Krispies.
In a pan with sides, put a parchment paper. Scoop out the Rice Krispies mixture onto the parchment paper. Using another parchment paper, press the Rice Krispies mixture firmly until flattened. Allow the Biscoff Rice Krispies to cool.
Holding the parchment paper on the bottom of the Rice Krispies treats, lift it onto a solid cutting surface. Cut the Rice Krispie treats into any size you want.
Make sure the cookie butter rice krispie treats are cool before cutting, so they maintain their shape.
Tips and Tricks
- Melt the butter and cookie butter together before adding the marshmallows. The marshmallows melt evenly into the cookie butter and butter mixture this way.
- Melt the marshmallows on medium heat: I turn the heat down to medium heat once the marshmallows are added.
- Use parchment paper to flatten the Rice Krispies: Press the Rice Krispies into a pan with sides using a piece of parchment paper.
- Cut into snack-sized squares: I cut my rice crispy treats into 12 large Rice Krispies treats or 16 small Rice Krispies treats. You can also use a cookie cutter and cut the Rice Krispies treats into different shapes. If you are going to use a cookie-cutter, I recommend making the Rice Krispies treats a little thinner, so that they are easier to cut. You might have a little Rice Krispies mixture leftover in this case, which can be pressed into a small secondary pan.
Substitutions and Variations
- Biscoff Lotus cookie butter is recommended, however any type of cookie butter works.
- Use nut butter like peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter in lieu of cookie butter.
- Make this recipe plain with just marshmallows. If making this recipe with only marshmallows, I recommend adding an extra cup of marshmallows.
What is Biscoff Lotus Spread?
Biscoff lotus spread is cookie butter, and it tastes exactly like what you think cookie butter would taste like. It's got a peanut butter texture with the taste of a cookie. If you can't find Biscoff Lotus spread at your grocery store, check out Amazon.
Biscoff Cookie Butter Desserts
Rice Krispie treats can be stored at room temperature in a container for 5 to 6 days. These rice krispie treats do not need to be stored in the fridge.