As a kid, I was obsessed with rice Krispie treats. My mother didn't want us to eat the packaged version, so she made her own rice Krispie treat but with peanut butter. For my daughter's second birthday, I thought it would be great to pull out the good ole family rice Krispie treat recipe. Instead of using peanut butter, I used Biscoff lotus spread, and they turned out phenomenal. This is the BEST rice Krispie treat recipe made with Lotus.
If you don't know what Biscoff Lotus spread is, or have access to it, don't worry! You can substitute peanut butter or any nut butter for the lotus spread (like how my mom used to make it). However, if you can get your hands on Biscoff Lotus spread, try making this version.
Rice Krispie treats are so easy to make. In fact, I made this recipe in less than 10 minutes with only 4 ingredients. I really love easy recipes that taste great!
Ingredients Needed to Make The Best Rice Krispie Treats
- Rice Krispies: I use the plain Rice Krispies cereal.
- Small Marshmallows: I recommend using small marshmallows because they melt faster. Also, I add some marshmallows at the very end for pockets of yummy goodness. I haven't tried using the jar of whipped marshmallow cream, but my instincts are telling me that it won't work. I think you need marshmallows that are solid at room temperature so that the rice Krispie treats stay together.
- Butter: My favorite butter brand is Kerrygold, but any butter will work. I use salted butter in this recipe.
- Biscoff Lotus Spread or Peanut Butter: Make sure to get the creamy Biscoff Lotus spread cookie butter. If you can't find the Biscoff cookie butter, you can use nut butter instead. In my childhood, this recipe was made with peanut butter instead of Biscoff Lotus cookie butter.
You will also need:
- Parchment paper
- Pan with sides (I use a 9" x 13" glass pyrex dish)
- Chef's knife
- Large stovetop pot
What is Biscoff Lotus Spread?
Quite possibly the best thing since sliced bread. Biscoff lotus spread is cookie butter, and it tastes exactly like what you think a cookie butter would taste like. It's got a peanut butter texture with the taste of a cookie. If you can't find Biscoff Lotus spread at your grocery store, check out Amazon. It's a jar that looks like below (link to Amazon included).
Tips for Making the Best Rice Krispie Treat Recipe
- Brown the butter: The butter adds a lot of flavor, so for the best results, make sure to brown the butter before adding the marshmallows. I brown my butter on medium-high heat, so it doesn't burn. You can go at a slower rate (especially if you are prone to burning things like a family member I have) and brown the butter on medium-low temperature.
- Melt the marshmallows on medium heat: I turn the heat down to medium heat once the marshmallows are added.
- Use parchment paper to flatten the Rice Krispies: Press the Rice Krispies into a pan with sides using a piece of parchment paper.
- Cut into snack-sized squares: I cut my rice crispy treats into 12 large Rice Krispies treats or 16 small Rice Krispies treats. You can also use a cookie cutter and cut the Rice Krispies treats into different shapes. If you are going to use a cookie-cutter, I recommend making the Rice Krispies treats a little thinner, so that they are easier to cut. You might have a little Rice Krispies mixture leftover in this case, which can be pressed into a small secondary pan.
Alternatives to Biscoff Lotus Cookie Butter Spread
This recipe can be made with peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter. Or, you can make this recipe plain with just marshmallows. If making this recipe with only marshmallows, I recommend adding an extra cup of marshmallows.
Are There Any Other Dessert Recipes Made With Lotus Spread?
Yes! In fact, there are TWO phenomenal dessert recipes from Cleobuttera's blog - No Bake Lotus Cheesecake and Biscoff Explosion Cookies. I've had both of these recipes, and they are great. In fact, these recipes are my inspiration for these rice Krispie treats with lotus.
How to Store Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie treats can be stored at room temperature in a container for 5 to 6 days. These rice krispie treats do not need to be stored in the fridge.