Homemade mild taco seasoning is an easy alternative to store-bought taco seasoning packets and without additives. This taco mix is a blend of spices you probably already have in your spice cabinet: mild chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, dried oregano, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
I prefer to make this easy homemade taco seasoning in bulk, so the default quantity in the recipe card is equivalent to eight taco seasoning packets (about 24 tablespoons of seasoning). That's enough to make 8 pounds of taco meat. 🥳
⭐️ Substitute three tablespoons of your homemade taco seasoning for one store-bought packet, which is enough for one pound of ground beef (or ground turkey). ⭐️
It's very easy to make and customize your spice blends, like this Lebanese 7 spice recipe. They come in handy if you live abroad or can't find pre-mixed spices at the grocery store.
What You Will Love
Taco night could not get any easier with homemade taco seasoning made with real ingredients. DIY taco seasoning is a spice blend with pantry staples you likely already have. Adjust the original recipe to your preference, like adding less salt or extra garlic powder.
This homemade taco seasoning recipe does not contain silicon dioxide, an anti-caking agent used in the store-bought stuff. You control everything you put into your spice mix- yay!
- Mild chili powder: This is the same as chili seasoning.
- Ground cumin
- Paprika: Substitute smoked paprika for regular paprika if that's what you have.
- Onion powder and garlic powder: Use finely ground onion powder and ground garlic powder. Substitute granulated garlic or onion if that's what you have.
- Red pepper flakes: Although this is a mild taco seasoning, use red pepper flakes. It's not enough to add heat.
- Dried oregano: Don't substitute any other dried herb.
- Salt and pepper: Use kosher salt (or sea salt) and ground black pepper.
- Cornstarch (optional): Mix or omit cornstarch with the taco seasoning. Cornstarch thickens up the taco meat sauce, and it can be added when you cook the meat.
See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for quantities.
How To Make Mild Taco Seasoning
In a medium bowl, add the spices.
Mix the spices together well.
⭐️ If using cornstarch, the color of the taco seasoning will be different (it will look browner). ⭐️
Pour the big batch of homemade taco seasoning mix into an airtight container. Label the contents and date. Store the taco seasoning mix in a dry place.
How To Use Homemade Taco Seasoning
Add the ground meat to a large skillet on medium to medium-high heat.
Cook the meat breaking up the clumps.
A good rule of thumb is 3 tablespoons of mild taco seasoning for every pound of taco meat. Mix well.
Pour the water into the ground meat. Simmer the taco meat for about 5 to 7 minutes on medium heat.
Tips and Tricks
- Add extra red pepper flakes, spicy chili powder, or cayenne pepper to turn this mild taco seasoning mix into something spicier.
- Make a big batch of taco meat for Taco Tuesday, then use the meat for meal prep taco salad.
Variations and Substitutions
- Mix cornstarch into your own taco seasoning mix to thicken up the taco meat sauce. It will change the color of the mild taco seasoning mix. Alternatively, mix corn starch into the water when cooking the taco meat.
- Change the type of meat. Substitute ground turkey or lean ground beef. Try using this seasoning for lean ground turkey tacos!
Store this large batch of taco seasoning in a mason jar, large spice jar, glass container, or sandwich storage bag. Label the container or bag with the contents and date. Store for up to a year in a cool dark place (the pantry or spice cabinet).
Silicone dioxide acts as an anti-caking agent for taco seasoning spices.
For homemade taco seasoning, use 6 tablespoons of taco mix. For store-bought taco seasoning packets, use 2 packets.
Taco seasoning mix is made of chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, paprika, dried oregano, and chili flakes.
Use 3 tablespoons of bulk taco seasoning for every pound of meat.
Join The Tribe
Bulk Mild Taco Seasoning
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
- 6 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon dried red pepper flakes optional
- 4 tablespoon cornstarch optional, see note 1
- 3 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning
- 1 lb lean ground beef see note 2
- ¾ cup water
How To Make Mild Taco Seasoning
- Mix all of the spices together in a medium bowl.
- Pour the taco seasoning into an airtight container. Store in a dry place.
How To Make Taco Meat
- In a large skillet on medium to medium-high heat, add the meat. Break up the clumps as the meat cooks through.
- Add the homemade taco seasoning mix and water. Simmer the taco meat on medium heat for about 5 to 7 minutes until the taco meat sauce thickens up.
- Cornstarch changes the color of the spice mix. You can omit the cornstarch altogether. Or, add 2 teaspoon of cornstarch for every 3 tablespoon of taco seasoning (enough for one pound of meat) by dissolving the cornstarch in water and then adding it to the meat. I prefer to just mix the cornstarch into the taco seasoning mix and not hassle with things.
- You can substitute ground turkey for ground beef.
- Nutrition facts below are for 3 tablespoons of seasoning which is equivalent to a packet of taco seasoning.