This chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich is made with semi-sweet chocolate chip cookies and creamy vanilla ice cream.
My first chocolate chip sandwich with ice cream was from a food truck in Houston called Smoosh that was parked in the Rice University vicinity in Houston, Texas. All they sold were homemade cookie ice cream sandwiches, and the line was around the block.
What's Great About This
These chocolate chip cookie sandwiches are a kid's favorite (to make and eat). Just beware of the messy hands! There is something special about warm chewy chocolate chip cookies smooshed between softened vanilla ice cream.
The best thing about these chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches is how simple they are. Homemade chocolate chip cookies take 30 minutes, and scooping vanilla ice cream in between takes seconds.
In its simplest form, a chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich has two ingredients: chocolate chip cookies and vanilla ice cream.
- Vanilla ice cream: Use any store-bought vanilla ice cream. I like Alden's vanilla ice cream and Blue Bell.
- Chocolate chip cookies: I prefer making chocolate chip cookies from scratch using the ingredients below.
See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for quantities.
How To Make A Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
A cookie ice cream sandwich is very quick and easy to make. It involves two steps: making the homemade chocolate chip cookies and assembling the chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich.
Make Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
Heat the oven to 375℉ (190℃).
Use a kitchen scale to weigh the flour. Add all-purpose flour, flaked sea salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Mix the dry ingredients.
Add the white sugar, dark brown sugar, and softened salted butter in a second large bowl.
Pro Tip: If the butter is straight out of the fridge, microwave it for 15 to 20 seconds to soften.
Cream the butter and sugar using a standing or hand mixer. Add the vanilla extract and whole eggs (egg yolks and egg whites).
Combine the eggs without overmixing.
Add the flour mixture and mix with a stand mixer or handheld mixer.
Measure out the Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips and mix with a wooden spoon.
Use a small cookie scoop to spoon individual chocolate chip cookie dough balls onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until the edges of the cookies start to change golden brown.
Pro Tip: The cookies will look a little undercooked but will continue to firm up on the hot cookie sheet once removed from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 15 minutes.
Assemble the Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
Once the cookies have cooled and firmed up a bit, take the vanilla ice cream out of the freezer. I recommend allowing the ice cream to soften a bit for about 3 to 5 minutes. Use a regular-sized ice cream scoop to scoop out the ice cream.
Assemble the chipwich by sandwiching the vanilla ice cream scoop between the flat side of two chewy cookies. Eat immediately for the best results.
Pro Tip: Things get messy fast. Think melted vanilla ice cream and gooey chocolate.
Tips and Tricks
- Let the ice cream soften at room temperature for a few minutes. If the ice cream is rock solid frozen, the ice cream won't "squish" between the soft gooey chocolate chip cookies.
- Let the homemade chocolate chip cookies rest. When pulled out of the oven, the cookies need at least 15 to 20 minutes to rest. Otherwise, the cookies will fall apart because they are soft.
- Use high-quality semisweet chocolate chips and real butter. I do not recommend using cocoa butter, palm oil, coconut oil, or any other fat substitute.
Variations and Substitutions
- Change up the ice cream. Try using cookies n' cream, cake batter, or chocolate ice cream flavors to slightly change things.
- Use store-bought chocolate chip cookies. You can substitute store-bought chocolate chip cookies if you are short on time.
- Prepare the cookies ahead of time. Either prepare the cookie dough (up to 2 days in advance) or bake these soft chocolate chip cookies recipe up to 6 hours prior.
- Make chocolate chunk cookies. Substitute chocolate chunks for chocolate chips. I don't prefer mini chocolate chips (personal preference).
- Standing mixer or handheld electric mixer for making the cookie dough batter
- Small cookie scoop for scooping cookie dough (alternatively roll the cookie dough into a ball with the palm of your hands)
- Regular sized cookie scoop for scooping out the vanilla ice cream
- Parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Glass mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and a kitchen scale for measuring out the ingredients for the perfect cookies
Prepare the ice cream cookie sandwiches to freeze by wrapping each sandwich individually in plastic wrap. Then, place the ice cream sandwiches into a freezer bag (or airtight container) and freeze them for up to 6 weeks.
A chipwich is a dessert made from smooshing ice cream in between cookies.
Store the cookie ice cream sandwich in the freezer by wrapping each cookie sandwich individually in plastic wrap, then placing the cookie sandwiches in a freezer-friendly plastic bag. Consume within 6 weeks of freezing.
No, I recommend softening the ice cream instead. The best ice cream cookie sandwich has warm and gooey chocolate chip cookies and softened vanilla ice cream.
Chipwich, created in 1978, is sold in many grocery stores in the freezer section. The original chipwich is rolled in small chocolate chips and comes frozen. This version is easy to make at home. This delicious treat is a bit softer because of the smooshed ice cream between warm fresh cookies.
Delicious Chocolate Desserts
Join The Tribe
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 12 oz. Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 360 grams all purpose flour about 3 cups
- 227 gram salted butter 2 sticks of butter
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt to taste
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
Prepare The Cookies
- Heat the oven to 375℉ (190℃).
- Weigh the flour using a kitchen scale.
- In a bowl, add the weighed flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix the salted butter, white granulated sugar, and dark brown sugar together using a hand mixer. Cream the butter and sugar together really well. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Blend in the dry ingredients.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix with a wooden spoon (or your hands).
- Using a small cookie scoop, spoon out the chocolate chip cookie dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet about 2" (5 cm) apart.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until the cookies begin to change colors.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 15 to 20 minutes prior to making the chipwich cookies ice cream sandwich.
Make the Chipwich Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
- Leave the ice cream to soften at room temperature for a few minutes.
- Using a regular-sized ice cream scoop, scoop the ice cream and smoosh it in between two chocolate chip cookies. Eat immediately or freeze the chipwich.
- To freeze the chipwich: Individually wrap the cookie in plastic wrap, then place it in a freezer-friendly storage bag. Freeze immediately for up to 6 weeks.
- Use store-bought chocolate chip cookies to save time, although, I highly recommend making homemade chocolate chip cookies for a better chipwich.