Made with semi-sweet chocolate chip cookies and softened vanilla ice cream, this chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich is a homemade version of a chipwich. Chipwich, created in 1978, is sold in many grocery stores in the freezer section. The original chipwich is rolled in small chocolate chips and comes frozen. My version is easy to make at home, and it's a bit softer because of the ice cream smooshed in between warm fresh cookies.
My first chipwich experience was from a food truck in Houston called Smoosh that was parked in the Rice University vicinity in Houston, Texas. All they sold were homemade cookie ice cream sandwiches, and the line was around the block. These cookie ice cream sandwiches are totally worth it, and now I have a recipe I can make at home.
What I Love About This Recipe
The best thing about this recipe is the experience of eating vanilla ice creams smooshed in between homemade soft and warm chocolate chip cookies. Also, I love that this recipe is quick and easy to make. Homemade chocolate chip cookies take 30 minutes and scooping vanilla ice cream in between is like seconds. This incredibly indulgent dessert is also a kid favorite. Just beware of the messy hands!
A chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich in its simplest form is two ingredients: chocolate chip cookies and vanilla ice cream.
- Vanilla ice cream: any kind of your favorite store-bought vanilla ice cream.
- Chocolate chip cookies: I prefer making chocolate chip cookies from scratch using the ingredients below.
See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for quantities.
How To Make A Chipwich
A chipwich is very quick and easy to make. It involves two steps: making the homemade chocolate chip cookies and assembling the chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich.
Make Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
Heat the oven to 375℉ (190℃). Use a kitchen scale to weigh the flour. In a bowl, add the all-purpose flour, flaked sea salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix the dry ingredients together. In a second bowl, add the white sugar, dark brown sugar, and softened salted butter together.
Pro Tip: If the butter is straight out of the fridge, just microwave it for 15 to 20 seconds to soften.
Cream together the butter and sugar really well using a standing mixer or handheld mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Combine the eggs without overmixing.
Add the dry ingredients and mix together with a standing mixer or handheld mixer. Measure out the Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips and mix together with a wooden spoon.
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or until the cookies just start to change colors on the edge.
Pro Tip: The cookies will look a little undercooked, however, they will continue to firm up on the hot baking sheet once removed from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 15 minutes.
Assemble the Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
Once the cookies have cooled and firmed up a bit, take the vanilla ice cream out of the freezer. I recommend allowing the ice cream to soften a bit for about 3 to 5 minutes. Use a regular-sized ice cream scoop to scoop out the ice cream.
Assemble the chipwich by sandwiching the vanilla ice cream scoop in between the two chocolate chip cookies. Eat immediately for the best results.
Pro Tip: Things get messy fast. Think melted vanilla ice cream and gooey chocolate.
Tips and Tricks
- Let the ice cream sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften. If the ice cream is rock solid frozen, the ice cream won't "squish" in between the soft gooey chocolate chip cookies.
- Let the homemade chocolate chip cookies rest. The cookies need a minimum of 15 to 20 minutes to rest when pulled out of the oven. Otherwise, the cookies will fall apart because they are soft.
Variations and Substitutions
- Change up the ice cream. Try using chocolate, cookies n' cream, or cake batter ice cream flavors to change things up a bit.
- Use store-bought chocolate chip cookies. If you are short on time, you can substitute store-bought chocolate chip cookies.
- Prepare the cookies ahead of time. Either prepare the cookie dough ahead of time (up to 2 days in advance), or bake the cookies up to 6 hours prior. This simplifies things, so the chipwich can be assembled quickly.
- Standing mixer or handheld mixer for making the cookie dough batter
- Small cookie scoop for scooping cookie dough (alternatively roll the cookie dough into a ball)
- Regular sized cookie scoop for scooping out the vanilla ice cream
- Parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Glass mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and a kitchen scale for measuring out the ingredients for the perfect cookies
Prepare the ice cream cookie sandwiches to freeze by wrapping each sandwich individually in plastic wrap. Then, place the ice cream sandwiches into a freezer-friendly plastic bag and into the freezer for up to 6 weeks.
A chipwich is a dessert made from smooshing ice cream in between cookies.
Store the cookie ice cream sandwich in the freezer by wrapping each cookie sandwich individually in plastic wrap, then placing the cookie sandwiches in a freezer-friendly plastic bag. Consume within 6 weeks of freezing.
No, I recommend softening the ice cream instead. The best ice cream cookie sandwich has warm and gooey chocolate chip cookies and softened vanilla ice cream.