These tender lamb shanks are slow-roasted in foil packets for 4 hours with carrots, potatoes, garlic, and onions. This is Yassmine's famous recipe and my go-to lamb shank recipe!
- 4 Lamb Shanks each weighing between 1 lb to 1.5 lbs
- 4 potatoes (sweet potatoes if Paleo)
- 4 carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 8 garlic cloves (cut in half)
- 4 tsp garlic flakes
- 1 cup plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 4 tsp oregano or thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
Make the Marinade
- Combine yogurt, salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic flakes in a bowl. Massage marinade into lamb shank and put in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight. If short on time, go to the next step straight away.
Prepare the Foil Packets
- Chop vegetables. Layer parchment paper on top of foil about the size of a cookie sheet. Place cut vegetables onto parchment paper and add salt and pepper to taste. Put lamb shank onto cut vegetables.
- Wrap an inner layer of parchment paper around the lamb shank and vegetables. Wrap foil tightly around parchment paper. Wrap a second layer of foil extremely tightly.
Cook the Lamb Shanks
- Cook for 4 hours at 300 ℉ or 150 ℃.
- Remove from oven and unwrap foil and parchment paper. Tuck parchment paper/foil into the sides of the lamb shanks. Broil lamb shanks at 450 ℉ or 230 ℃ for a few minutes to brown top. Make sure the parchment paper is properly tucked underneath the lamb shanks, so it doesn't catch on fire.
- Ideally, the lamb shanks should marinate for a minimum of 2 hours, however, this time can be skipped in running short on time.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- If following the Paleo diet, the yogurt can be omitted.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Entree
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Egyptian
- Serving Size: 1 shank
- Calories: 534
- Sugar: 24 g
- Sodium: 246 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 60 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 51 g
- Cholesterol: 3 mg
Keywords: oven lamb shanks, lamb shank recipe, foil packet lamb shanks, baked lamb shanks, roasted lamb