If avocado toast had a Mediterranean cousin, it would be foul toast. This vegan recipe for ful medames is delicious and easy to make.
- 4 sliced bread
- Ful medames (1 can)
- Fresh mint leaves (about 10 leaves)
- 10 grape tomatoes
- 2 Persian cucumbers or 1/3 English Cucumber
- 3 garlic cloves
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon (about 3 tbsp of lemon juice)
- 1 tbsp of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Open and rinse ful medames can of beans.
- In a pot, add ful medames and water. Allow foul to boil on high for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Mash the garlic with some salt using a mortar and pestle.
- Squeeze the lemon in a bowl.
- Drain the foul beans and return them to the pot (not on the heat).
- Add the mashed garlic. Mash the foul beans and the mashed garlic together.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, and ground cumin.
Make the Cucumber Tomato Mint Salad
- Chop grape tomatoes and cucumber into small pieces.
- Chop fresh mint leaves.
Assemble the Foul Toast
- Toast the sliced bread.
- Add a layer of foul on top of the toasted bread.
- Add the cucumber tomato mint salad on the foul.
- Drizzle some EVOO.
- You can make homemade foul in a big batch and freeze it instead of using foul from a can. Soak dried fava beans overnight. Boil fava beans on high until tender (about 1 hour to 1.5 hours). Remove the outer skins. For a more in-depth explanation, click here.
- Traditional Lebanese foul moudamas does not usually have ground cumin, however, it has mashed garlic. Egyptian foul usually have ground cumin but not mashed garlic, which adds a nice dimension of flavors. The taste is awesome if you add both the smashed garlic and the ground cumin!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 2 foul toast
- Calories: 349
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 270 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 55 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: foul moudamas, ful medames, recipe for foul, ful recipe