Stuffed cabbage rolls are easy to make if you have the right instructions. This is my mother in law’s delicious mahshi crumb stuffed cabbage rolls recipe.
- 2 medium cabbage heads
- 3 cups of rice
- 1 cup cilantro with leaves removed
- 1 cup parsley with leaves removed
- 1 cup dill
- 2 medium onions
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 bouillon cube
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 spicy pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Prepare the Cabbage Leaves
- Heat a very large pot of water on the stovetop.
- Cut into the cabbage head about 2 inches deep, removing the center of the cabbage. It will take a little bit of time to do.
- Put the whole head into the boiling water. Be careful to lower slowly so that the water doesn’t splash.
- Using 2 forks, peel the outer layer of the cabbage and set aside.
- Repeat with the other cabbage head.
- An alternative way of preparing the cabbage is to remove the cabbage leaves prior to cooking. Then boil the leaves until they are tender.
Make the Rice Stuffing
- In a food processor, blend 2 peeled onions. The onions will be more grainy than if you had put them in the blender. This is the texture we want.
- In a blender, blend the tomatoes to a pulp. Strain the tomato mixture into a bowl.
- Chop dill, parsley, and cilantro into fine pieces. Set aside.
- Add a pot to the stovetop. Add olive oil and turn heat to medium-high.
- Add the onion mixture and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the strained tomato mixture, bouillon cube, and tomato paste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 10 minutes covered.
- Add the chopped parsley, dill, and cilantro. Add the rice. Turn the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove rice from heat, and allow to cool off. I usually put the rice into another bowl to cool faster.
Roll the Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
- On each cabbage leave, cut out the rigid stem. The cut will look like an elongated triangle. For the largest leave, you will cut the cabbage leaf into 3 sections. For medium cabbage leaves, you will cut into 2 sections, and for the smallest cabbage leaves, you will not cut at all.
- In a large pot, place cabbage stems and some of the smallest cabbage leaves on the bottom. This layer protects the bottom rolled cabbage leaves from burning when cooking.
- Put about 1 tbsp of the rice mixture at the end of a cabbage leave. Roll and tuck in the sides.
- Place the rolled cabbage leaves in the pot making a circle, going layer by layer. Place the rolled cabbage leaves with the seam down to prevent from unraveling.
- Once all of the leaves have been rolled, slice a spicy pepper and add to the top.
Cook the Rolled Leaves
- Add a small plate face-down onto the cabbage leaves. This helps the leaves from unraveling while they are cooking.
- Add roughly 6 cups of boiling broth, or until the liquid completely covers the stuffed cabbage rolls.
- Turn the stovetop to medium-high heat and cover. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Crack the lid on the pot to allow steam to escape. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Egyptian
- Serving Size: 15 cabbage leaves
- Calories: 469
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 221 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 85 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Cholesterol: 8 mg
Keywords: egyptian mahshi crumb recipe, stuffed cabbage rolls