Lahm bi ajeen is a delicious oven-baked savory minced meat pie is known as sfiha in the Middle East. It's made with homemade dough and spiced meat.
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups flour (you can use wholewheat, all-purpose or baking flour)
- 2 tablespoons dry powdered milk
- 2 teaspoons active yeast (dry granules)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 500 grams beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (debes remman)
- 1 teaspoon seven spices
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts
To make the dough:
- In a large bowl (or bowl of a dough mixer if using) combine half a cup of the warm water (save the remainder) yeast and sugar. Stir the mixture and let it sit out while you prep the other ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, dry milk, and salt. Form a well in the mixture.
- Pour in the yeast, water and sugar combination and start kneading with your hands (you can also use a dough kneader for this step).
- As you knead, slowly add the remaining cup of water, kneading in between each addition.
- Keep kneading until you are able to form the dough into a ball.
- Pat the dough ball with a little bit of olive oil. Cover it with a kitchen cloth and let it rest for a minimum of an hour (the more it rests the better).
To make the meat topping:
- Put the onion and salt in a food processor and pulse for a minute or two.
- Add in the tomatoes, spices, pomegranate molasses, olive oil, and meat.
- Pulse until all the ingredients are well combined.
To make the pies:
- Heat your oven to 350 ℉ or 180 ℃.
- Form the rested dough into small round balls (around 10).
- Flour a surface in your kitchen and use a rolling pin to shape a thin round circle out of each piece.
- Transfer the pie dough pieces to a greased oven baking dish or baking dish with a parchment paper.
- Top each with a spoon of the meat mixture.
- Place the tray in the oven for around 35 minutes or until both the dough and meat topping are cooked through.
- Serve hot.
- Drizzle with lemon juice or more pomegranate molasses for added flavor.
- The meat pies keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days if kept in an airtight container.
- The total time is reflecting the minimum set time for the dough.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1 pie
- Calories: 387
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 5 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 18 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: lahmajun, meat pie, sfiha, sfeeha, Lebanese meat pie