Quinoa salad with chickpeas and roasted sweet potatoes remind me of Fall. This is a hearty quinoa salad recipe that will keep you going throughout the day.
You can use canned chickpeas if you would like. I like to use dried chickpeas and make some extra for homemade hummus. Also, when you make your own chickpeas, you can freeze them for future use. I’ve made hummus from frozen chickpeas and it tasted great.
I personally char my sweet potatoes to perfection. When sweet potatoes get charred, they have a smoky-sweet flavor. I think this goes great with the caramelized onions and goat cheese.
You can add some prosciutto or roasted chicken breast to this quinoa salad with chickpeas if you like. You can also swap out cranberries for golden raisins.
This is one of the quinoa salads that goes well as a side. I made this one Thanksgiving as a side for the turkey and it was great.
This dish stays fresh in the fridge for 4 to 5 days, and it’s very easy to pack for lunches. Eat the quinoa salad with chickpeas directly out of the fridge. I do not recommend reheating this dish.
Another way of modifying this dish is by using butternut squash in lieu of sweet potatoes. Butternut squash is less starchy and is a great substitute.
I have included this recipe in my list of Top Quinoa Salad Recipes.Print
This quinoa salad with chickpeas and roasted sweet potatoes also has caramelized onions, goat cheese, and golden raisins. Yum!
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas (roughly 3/4 cup dry chickpeas)
- 6 cups cooked quinoa (2 cups dry quinoa)
- 1 large onion
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 1/4 cup gold raisins
- 2 cups roasted sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook chickpeas if using dried chickpeas. This takes a long time- usually between 1.5 hours and 2 hours.
- Cook quinoa ahead of time and allow it to cool.
- Caramelize onions in a nonstick skillet with olive oil. Set temperature to medium heat and cook until caramelized, stirring every few minutes.
- Roast sweet potatoes in the oven with olive oil and salt at 400F. Remove once sweet potatoes are cooked to your liking.
- Make sure all ingredients are cool. If needed, put items in the fridge to cool off before mixing together with goat cheese.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Add olive oil and lemon juice.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 483
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 329 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 70 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 17 mg
Keywords: quinoa salad, chickpea salad