These spicy Middle Eastern pickled turnips are so easy. Made with cauliflower, carrots, and red spicy peppers, they are delicious.
- 8 turnips
- 8 whole carrots
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 small beet
- 5 spicy large red peppers
- 10 tbsp salt (sea salt) ** see notes
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 10 tbsp white vinegar ** see notes
- boiling water (enough to cover the vegetables)
- Wash the vegetables.
- Peel and cut the turnips, carrots, and beet. Cut the cauliflower. Cut the stems off the spicy red pepper. Cut the spicy red pepper into thirds.
- In a food processor, blend the spicy red pepper and 5 tbsp of salt.
- In a large bowl add all of the chopped vegetables and the blended spicy pepper. Mix the vegetables well. Allow the vegetables to sit at room temperature for 2 hours and sweat out the moisture. There will be a few cups of liquid at the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the vegetables into an airtight container or multiple airtight containers (I used 2 half-gallon size mason jars). Pour the liquid on top of the vegetables (that sweated out). Add 10 tbsp (this is the total amount) of white vinegar. Add 5 tbsp of salt.
- Boil water. Pour the boiling water into the jar fully covering the vegetables. Seal the jar and shake it. Open the jar and taste the liquid. Don't put the spoon back into the jar!
- Adjust the salt and vinegar depending on the vinegar brine taste.
- Seal the jar and keep it at room temperature for 3 to 4 days. After 3 or 4 days once the vegetables have pickled, move the jar to the fridge. Keep in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- Depending on the salt used for this recipe, the quantity will change. I used crystallized sea salt, however, if using iodized table salt, the quantity will be less. I recommend tasting the vinegar brine and adjusting.
- Depending on the size of the jar, the amount of hot water and vinegar will change as well.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pickling
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 52 calories
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 310 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pickled turnips, Quick pickled turnips, Middle eastern pickled turnips, easy pickled turnips, Arabic pickled turnips