Crispy, sweet, Arabic fried stuffed pancakes that are absolutely delicious. This recipe has two qatayef (atayef) stuffing options: cheese and nuts.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semolina
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tbsp rosewater (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup nabulsi, akkawi, shelal, or mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp orange blossom water
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Mix the dry ingredients together, then add the warm water and rose water. Mix until you get a consistency that's slightly runnier than pancake batter (you might need slightly more water).
- Cover the pancake batter with a towel and let it rest for an hour.
- Prepare the simple syrup by mixing all the ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil, and cook while mixing frequently until it thickens. Set aside to cool.
- After your atayef batter has rested, heat a nonstick skillet or pan to medium heat. Scoop the batter using a measuring cup (1/4 cup) or ice cream scoop. Once the batter has bubbled and changed in color slightly, take the pancake off the stove and cover it with a towel. Repeat until the batter is finished. Do not flip the pancake!
- To make the walnut stuffing, mix the ingredients together, and chop or crush until you get a rough mixture. Scoop about 1 heaping teaspoon onto one half of the pancake, fold over, and pinch the sides together firmly with your fingers.
- Do the same if you're filling them with cheese.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, test it out by dropping a tiny piece of dough into the oil. If it starts bubbling, the oil is hot enough.
- Drop the qatayef in the oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Fry until golden, then remove from the oil with a slotted spatula to a plate.
- Drizzle the simple sugar syrup on top. Serve immediately.
- When cooking the pancakes, make sure the side facing up is no longer shiny before taking it off the heat. Don't flip the pancakes.
- The pancakes can stick together, don't lay directly on top of each other.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed pancake
- Calories: 106 calories
- Sugar: 10.1 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.5 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: atayef, qatayef, stuffed pancakes, ramadan desserts, arabic desserts, fried pancakes, deep fried pancakes, deep fried arabic pancakes, middle eastern desserts, stuffed qatayef recipe, atayef recipe