Mujadara msufaye is a vegan-friendly Lebanese comfort recipe made with lentils, rice, and caramelized onions.
- 5.25 cups of brown or green lentils
- 15 cups of water (to boil the lentils)
- 1/3 cup of short-grain rice
- 2 large onions (or 3 medium onions)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice (in Arabic behar helo)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Make the Lentils and Rice
- Cook the lentils covered on medium-high heat in a large pot of water (about 15 cups) for about 45 minutes or until tender. Stir the lentils every 15 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, prepare the caramelized onions. Peel and chop the onions. In a nonstick pan on medium-high heat, add the olive oil and vegetable oil. Add the onions. Once the onions start to brown, turn the heat to medium heat. Slowly cook the onions until they caramelize. Add the rinsed and drained rice. Continue to cook for one to two minutes. Set aside.
- Once the lentils are soft, blend with a hand immersion blender. Turn the heat on low. Add the rice and caramelized onion mixture, stirring every 3 to 5 minutes until the rice is finished (about 30 minutes). Keep the mujadara covered while cooking. The mujadara is finished when the rice is tender and the consistency is like refried beans.
- Season with allspice, ground cumin, black pepper, and salt. Serve with pita bread and shredded cabbage salad.
- If using a food processor in lieu of a handheld blender, add the mixture to the food processor. Blend on high until smooth. Pour the mujadara into a large dish.
- To save time making this dish, caramelize the onions while the lentils are cooking.
- Depending on the lentils and cooking setup, this recipe may need more water. Adjust as needed.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 258 calories
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 143 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: mujadara, mujadarra, mujadarrah, lebanese lentils and rice, vegan lentils and rice