Mujadarrah is Lebanese lentils and rice with caramelized onions. It's vegan-friendly and made with 4 ingredients!
- 1 lb (500 gram) bag brown lentils
- 2/3 cup rice (any type of rice)
- 2 large onions (or 3 medium onions)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
Make the Lentils and Rice
- Soak the lentils in water for a minimum of 3 hours (preferably overnight).
- Cook the lentils on medium-high heat in a large pot of water for about 1 hour (cover with a lid). Make sure there is adequate water in the pot (about 3 inches above the lentils). Stir the lentils every 15 minutes.
- After 1 hour of cooking, remove from the stovetop.
- Place a bowl under a strainer. Pour the lentils into the strainer in order to strain the lentils and liquid from one another. Add the lentils back to the pot.
- Measure back 3 cups of the liquid. Add the rice.
- Turn the lentils down to medium-low heat and cover. Cook for an additional 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Make sure the stove is in a low setting otherwise the lentils can burn on the bottom.
- Season with salt. The final mixture should be thick.
Make the Caramelized Onions
- Peel and slice the onions thinly into long pieces.
- In a nonstick pan on medium-high heat, add olive oil. Add the onions. Once the onions start to brown, turn the heat to medium heat. Slowly cook the onions for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the onions are a caramel brown color, remove from the stove.
Assemble the Mujadarrah
- Add half of the caramelized onions to the lentils and rice. Using a handheld immersion blender, blend everything together until smooth.
- Pour the mujadarrah into a large dish. Top with the remaining caramelized onions.
- Serve with pita bread and shredded cabbage salad.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 258 calories
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 143 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: mujadara, mujadarra, mujadarrah, lebanese lentils and rice, vegan lentils and rice