Lebanese chicken and rice, aka riz a djej, is a delicious dish made with shredded chicken, rice, minced meat, spices, and toasted nuts.
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 to 4 lbs in size)
- 0.5 lbs (about 250 grams) minced ground beef or lamb
- 2 medium onions (1 chopped and used in the meat mixture, 1 whole used in boiling the chicken)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups long-grain rice, washed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter (for the rice)
- 1 tablespoon butter (for toasting the nuts)
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon Lebanese seven spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1 cup mixed raw nuts (almonds, pine nuts, cashews)
- Boil the whole chicken in 10 cups of water in a stovetop pot on medium to medium-high heat for about 1.5 hours covered. Add a whole peeled onion, salt, pepper, two cinnamon sticks, and two bay leaves to the boiling chicken.
- While the chicken is cooking, on medium heat add 1 tbsp of butter to the pan and toast the nuts in a skillet until they turn golden brown.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the heat, wait for it to cool down then shred and set aside (save the stock).
- Wash the rice and make sure you drain it really well.
- Add some oil to a non-stick pan and sauté the chopped onions and minced meat.
- Mix in the allspice, seven spices, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt, and rice. Cook everything together for a minute. Add 4 cups of the saved chicken stock to the rice mixture. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook until the rice is done (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Once the rice is done, add a layer of shredded chicken into a bowl and spoon half the rice mixture on top. Repeat this process once.
- Push the mixture down into the bowl using a spoon.
- Flip over onto a tray and top with the toasted nuts.
- If using long grain rice, add 2 parts chicken broth to 1 part rice. For this recipe, it will be 4 cups chicken broth to 2 cups rice.
- If using medium grain rice, add 1.5 parts chicken broth to 1 part rice. For this recipe, it will be 3 cups chicken broth to 2 cups rice.
- Serve hot with a cup of yogurt.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Levantine
- Serving Size: 1/6 dish
- Calories: 544 calories
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 855 mg
- Fat: 22 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 18 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 43 g
- Cholesterol: 166 mg
Keywords: Lebanese chicken and rice, riz a djej, riz w djej, riz a3 djej, oriental chicken and rice