This large lima beans recipe with lamb is known as fassoulia. It's a butter beans stew made with sauteed onions and crushed tomatoes.
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) of boneless lamb or 2 lbs (1 kg) of lamb with bone
- 2lbs (1 kg) dried lima beans
- 2 cans (8 ounces or 400 grams) of crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups of chopped onions (about 3 medium onions or 2 large onions)
- 12 cups of water
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp allspice
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Soak the dried lima beans the night before or at a minimum for 3 hours.
- In a very large pot, boil the water and lima beans on high uncovered while sauteeing the onions and caramelizing the meat.
- In a separate nonstick pan on medium-high heat, add the olive oil and meat. Caramelize the meat on each side. Move the meat to the water and beans.
- Add the chopped onions in the same pan that the meat was cooked. Sautee the onions on medium-high heat until cooked through (about 8 minutes).
- Add the onions and canned tomatoes to the lima beans and meat. Turn the stove to medium heat and cover. Cook for about 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours, or until the lamb is tender.
- Serve with rice.
- If using a crockpot, add the crushed tomatoes, beans, water, allspice, salt, pepper, sauteed onions, and caramelized lamb to the crockpot. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- If using a pressure cooker, add the crushed tomatoes, beans, water, allspice, salt, pepper, sauteed onions, and caramelized lamb to the instant pot. Cook on high for 1 hour.
- The nutrition facts do not include rice.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Store in the freezer in a freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 374 calories
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 400 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 62 g
- Fiber: 18 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 43 mg
Keywords: large lima beans recipe, fassoulia, butter beans recipe, butter beans stew, dried lima beans stew