Lebanese fasolia is a slow-cooked lamb and white bean stew made with dried lima beans, caramelized lamb, tomato paste, and sautéed onions.
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) of boneless lamb or 2 lbs (1 kg) of lamb with bone
- 2 lbs (1 kg) of dried lima beans
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 4 cups of chopped onions (about 3 medium onions)
- about 12 cups of water (initially) + 1 to 2 cups more for the last hour of cooking
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp allspice
- salt to taste
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 8 garlic cloves (optional)
- Soak the dried lima beans the night before or for a minimum of 3 hours.
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Caramelize the lamb meat on each side.
- Add the chopped onions to the same pan where the meat was cooked. Sautee the onions on medium-high heat until cooked through (about 8 minutes).
- Add the soaked lima beans, 12 cups of water, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, caramelize lamb meat, salt, pepper, and allspice. Turn the stove to medium heat and cover. If using garlic, add the garlic peeled and whole. Cook the fasolia for about 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours, or until the lamb is tender. Stir every 30 minutes.
- If the stew is very thick, add some water so the beans don't burn on the bottom. Cook for another 1 hour on very low heat covered. The total cooking time is close to 3 hours.
- Serve with vermicelli rice.
- Substitute beef in lieu of lamb.
- The nutrition facts do not include rice.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Store in the freezer in a freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 374 calories
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 400 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 62 g
- Fiber: 18 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 43 mg
Keywords: large lima beans recipe, fassoulia, butter beans recipe, butter beans stew, dried lima beans stew, fasolia, fasolya, lamb and lima bean stew, lebanese fasolia