Have you ever wondered how to make homemade labneh? This is my Lebanese grandmother’s labneh recipe that doesn’t need any fancy equipment.
- Gallon of full fat milk
- 1 cup full fat plain yogurt
Make Homemade Yogurt
- Bring 1 gallon of whole milk to a boil. Be very careful to take off heat once the milk starts to boil, otherwise the milk will boil over the stovetop.
- Turn off heat and let milk cool down.
- Once you can stick your finger in the milk and count for 10 seconds, the milk is ready for the yogurt.
- Add 1 cup of yogurt and stir the mixture once.
- Cover the pot and put a towel around the yogurt. Keep in the warmest part of your home for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, the homemade yogurt is done!
Strain Yogurt to Make Labneh
- Add a cotton cloth or 2 layers of paper towels in a large strainer.
- Place the strainer on top of a bowl.
- Add the yogurt to the strainer.
- Let the yogurt drain for 8 to 10 hours.
- Drain liquid from bowl.
- Add salt to taste to labneh.
- Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
I usually put 1/3 of the yogurt aside to keep as yogurt. The remaining 2/3 yogurt is strained to make labneh.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 4 tablespoons
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 167 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 11 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: lebneh labneh yogurt cheese homemade yogurt