Let me begin saying that this keto chicken soup with rosemary is extremely versatile. Not only can this be made in a slow cooker, Instant Pot, pressure cooker, or on the stovetop, but it can also be paired with rice for those family members not eating keto, paleo, or whole 30.
I don’t just cook for myself. I cook for a family, and they all have different eating preferences. Instead of spending hours on end in the kitchen, I prefer to make versatile homecooked dishes that are nutritious and easy. This is one of them!
Also, this meal is excellent for meal prep. You can make a big batch easily and have your lunches ready for the week. What I also like, is that this meal is child-friendly. My 9-month-old LOVED this soup. She’s just starting to eat meat, so it’s a nice way to introduce chicken because it is so tender!
Options for Keto Chicken Soup
Another option for non-keto, paleo, and whole 30 eaters is to serve this keto chicken soup with fresh avocado toast or toast with my better than chipotle guacamole recipe. I am a huge avocado fan and sometimes add straight-up avocado chunks to this soup as well.
Making homemade broth is so much better than store-bought broth. If you are short on time, you can make this broth faster using an Instant Pot. Alternatively, you can pop this chicken in a slow cooker while you are work and then continue the rest of the soup steps when you make it home. I cannot express this enough! Don’t take short cuts with this. You will get much more flavor and nutrition from a homemade broth.
Make sure to use a whole chicken. After the broth is made, the meat will fall off the bone. This is when you add the veggies to cook- once the broth is finished. Otherwise, you will be eating mushy vegetables.
Another critical tip is using good quality chicken. Have you noticed that there is a visible difference between a free-range and regular store-bought chicken? Personally, I don’t mind paying a little more for better quality ingredients.
This is keto, paleo, and whole30 friendly.Print
This keto chicken soup recipe is full of flavor. Fresh rosemary and nutritious vegetables make this recipe delicious and tasty.
For the broth
- 2 small whole chicken or 1 large whole chicken (about 3 lbs)
- 1 whole onion
- 2 tbs of whole cardamom (about 10 pieces)
- 4 bay leaves
For the Soup
- 1 whole carrot
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 3 celery stalks
- 4 rosemary sprigs or 1 tbs of dried rosemary
- 1 lemon
- 3 small zucchini squash
- Salt and pepper to taste
Make the Soup
- Add chicken to a large pot. Fill with water to 2/3 full.
- Add onion chopped in half, bay leaves, and whole cardamom.
- Boil on high for 45 minutes.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover for 1.5 hours.
- **If making in an Instant Pot, cook on high for 45 minutes.
- **If making in a slow cooker, cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Assemble the Soup
- Once chicken is falling off the bone, separate chicken and stock. Allow chicken to cool while chopping the other ingredients for the soup.
- Peel and chop carrots into 1/2” pieces. Chop celery, squash and broccoli into a similar size.
- Remove chicken meat from the bone. Discard bones.
- Add vegetables and rosemary to the chicken stock. Add back in the chicken meat. Simmer on medium high for 20-30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze lemon into soup.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3 cups
- Calories: 526
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 200 mg
- Fat: 35 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 26 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 45 g
- Cholesterol: 200 mg
Keywords: chicken and vegetable soup, rosemary chicken soup