Kafta bil sanieh is oven-baked kafta with potatoes, tomatoes, and vegetables in a rich and flavorful tomato sauce.
- 2 lbs (about 1 kg) ground lamb or beef
- 2 medium-sized onions chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic minced or mashed
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon Lebanese seven spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
Kafta and Potato Bake:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large potatoes, peeled, sliced into rounds, and half baked in the oven
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 1 green pepper, sliced into rounds
- 1 large onion, sliced into rounds
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups of water
- Start by making the kafta mixture. Wash and chop the parsley. Mince the garlic either with a garlic press or mortar and pestle. Finely chop the onion. Place the minced meat in a deep mixing bowl. Add in the minced garlic, chopped parsley, chopped onions, ground allspice, ground seven spice, ground cinnamon, and salt. Mix them in really well. Add the egg and breadcrumbs. Mix well again. Set the kafta mixture aside.
- Peel and slice the potatoes into thin circles. Half bake the potatoes in the oven at 375 ℉ (190 ℃) for about 20 minutes.
- Peel and slice the onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes.
- Grease the oven dish with oil. Spread the kafta mixture across the dish but leave some space around it. Fill the space with the potatoes, tomato slices, green pepper, and onion slices.
- Mix the tomato paste with water and pour enough to cover all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the kafta bil sanieh at 350 ℉ (180 ℃) for about an hour.
- Use either ground lamb, ground beef, or a mixture of both. The recommended fat content is around 85%.
- It's optional to roast the sliced onions and bell peppers when half-baking the potatoes.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 1/8 dish
- Calories: 379 calories
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 149 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12 g
- Trans Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Cholesterol: 23 mg
Keywords: kafta bil sanieh, baked kafta, kafta and potatoes, baked kafta and potatoes, kafta and tomatoes