Hawawshi is one of my favorite authentic Egyptian food recipes. It’s very easy to make and delicious. You can easily freeze these sandwiches.
- 1 lb ground beef meat
- 1 lb ground lamb meat
- 10 Egyptian Baladi bread medium-size or regular pita bread**
- 3 small onion or 2 medium onion
- 1 tomato
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 2 bell pepper
- 1 spicy pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- juice from a whole large lemon
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1tbsp ground coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400F.
- Peel and chop onions into very small pieces. Chop tomato, bell pepper, and spicy pepper into very small pieces.
- Remove leaves from mint and parsley. Chop mint and parsley into very fine chopped pieces.
- Smash garlic cloves with salt.
- Add onions, smashed garlic, tomato, bell pepper, fresh mint, fresh parsley, spicy pepper, cumin, coriander, salt, and black pepper to a large bowl. Add lemon juice and tomato paste.
- Add ground meat to the bowl with the chopped veggies. Mix all of the ingredients together with your hands.
- Cut Baladi bread into two halves.
- Stuff meat mixture into the Baladi bread. Do not add too much meat. Just enough for a thin layer inside. The amount will vary depending on the size of the bread.
- On a cookie sheet, add a layer of parchment paper.
- Place bread pieces onto the cookie sheet pan with the thicker side of the bread facing down. Baladi bread has a thin side and a thick side, the thin side should face upwards.
- Wet hands and rub the outside of the bread.
- Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes. Remove when the top is golden brown.
- If the bread is cooking too quickly, remove and pat the top of the bread with water and reduce the heat in the oven to 375F.
- Don’t flip the bread over.
- Egyptian Baladi bread is a thicker bread. If you can’t find a thicker pita bread, then use regular pita bread and cook at 375F instead of 400F.
- If using lower fat meat, you can rub some olive oil or avocado oil on the outside of the bread.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Egyptian
- Serving Size: 2 pita sandwiches
- Calories: 601
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 261 mg
- Fat: 26 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16 g
- Trans Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 64 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Cholesterol: 67 mg
Keywords: Hawawshi Hawashy Egyptian meat pie