Hawawshi is Egyptian minced meat stuffed pita sandwiches.
- 1 lb ground beef meat
- 1 lb ground lamb meat
- 10 Egyptian Baladi bread 10" size (25 cm) or regular pita bread**
- 3 small onion or 2 medium onion
- 1 tomato
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 2 bell pepper
- 1 spicy pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- juice from a whole large lemon
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1tbsp ground coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 ℉ (205 ℃).
- Peel and chop onions into very small pieces. Chop tomato, bell pepper, and spicy pepper into very small pieces.
- Remove leaves from mint and parsley. Chop mint and parsley into very fine chopped pieces.
- Smash garlic cloves with salt.
- Add onions, smashed garlic, tomato, bell pepper, fresh mint, fresh parsley, spicy pepper, cumin, coriander, salt, and black pepper to a large bowl. Add lemon juice and tomato paste.
- Add ground meat to the bowl with the chopped veggies. Mix all of the ingredients together with your hands.
- Cut Baladi bread into two halves.
- Stuff meat mixture into the Baladi bread. Do not add too much meat. Just enough for a thin layer inside. For a 10" (25 cm) diameter pita, I use about 1/4 cup of meat mixture in each pita half (so 1/2 cup for the whole pita). However, the amount will vary depending on the size of the bread.
- On a cookie sheet, add a layer of parchment paper.
- Place bread pieces onto the cookie sheet pan with the thicker side of the bread facing down. Baladi bread has a thin side and a thick side, the thin side should face upwards.
- Wet hands and rub the outside of the bread.
- Using a pastry brush, spread a little olive oil on top of the sandwich (optional).
- Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes. Remove when the top is golden brown.
- If the bread is cooking too quickly, remove and pat the top of the bread with water and reduce the heat in the oven to 375 ℉ (190 ℃).
- Don't flip the bread over.
- Egyptian Baladi bread is a thicker bread. If you can't find a thicker pita bread, then use regular pita bread and cook at 375 ℉ (190 ℃) instead of 400 ℉ (205 ℃).
- If using a smaller diameter pita, this recipe will make more sandwiches.
- If using lower fat meat, you can rub some olive oil or avocado oil on the outside of the bread.
- When reheating frozen hawawshi sandwiches, bake in the oven at 375 ℉ (190 ℃) for about 10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Egyptian
- Serving Size: 1 pita sandwic
- Calories: 300 calories
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 130 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 35 mg
Keywords: Hawawshi Hawashy Egyptian meat pie