Have you ever gone grocery shopping not sure of what you were planning to make for the week? Maybe on your way home from work, you casually just decided to stop by the grocery store. You grab your cart and find the store packed with other people who have done the same thing. You think to yourself- I need to just get a few things and get out of here! As you go row by row, you are trying to plan mentally what you are going to cook for the week. You make it all the way to the checkout and you realize you forgot something!
You are not the only one. I used to get overwhelmed by grocery shopping until I started to meal plan.
Meal planning is where you decide ahead of time what you will be cooking for the week. It is easier than ever to find meal ideas using food blogs (like this one), Pinterest, and Google.
How To Meal Plan
- Get some inspiration from Pinterest, food blogs, food sharing websites, Facebook groups, or Google searches
- Print off what you will be making for the week
- Create your grocery list based on planned meals
What Is The Benefit of Meal Planning?
- Most (if not all) of what you buy will get used
- No time wasted thinking of what you will make for that day
- No time wasted roaming aisle after aisle in the grocery store
- You will get to try new recipes
- It’s easier to eat healthily
How To Save Time At The Grocery Store
A lot of grocery stores are now offering grocery pick up. It’s very easy to do your grocery shopping online and then swing by after work to pick up your groceries. A lot of grocery stores offer same day pick up or even delivery.
I’ve tried both services, same day pick up and delivery, after having a newborn child, and in my opinion, they are worth the extra cost. Some grocery stores offer a promotion to try this service free. Actually, that’s what I did in the beginning, and now I am happy to pay the fee. If my small child is not up for a grocery store run, I just order my groceries online.
The person that introduced me to this efficient way of grocery shopping was one of my best friends, Melody. At first, I thought it didn’t give me any wiggle room on meal plan changes, such as going out after work with some coworkers for dinner. However, it's easy to swap meals, or just postpone cooking a meal for a few days. I like to cook my meat fresh, but sometimes I purposefully purchase frozen meats to give myself some more flexibility.
Give this a try if you aren’t already doing something similar.
My Favorite Batch Cooked Meals
- Mediterranean Greek Quinoa Salad
- Egyptian Lentil Soup
- Mujadarrah Lentils and Rice
- Shredded Cabbage Salad With Lemon Vinaigrette
Or make your own quinoa salads with this quinoa salad ultimate guide!