Ful medames (foul moudamas) is a very popular breakfast dish in Egypt. This freezer-friendly recipe is made using dried beans either on the stovetop or with a pressure cooker.
Homemade Ful Beans
- 350 gr/ 12 oz. of dried foul beans (fava beans)
- 1 cup of dried chickpeas
- 1/2 cup of red lentils
- 1 medium tomato
- 3 medium carrots
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Ful Medames Dip
- 4 cups of cooked ful medames beans
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped Persian cucumber (or English cucumber)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp of tahini
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
Make the Ful Beans
- In a large pot, add the dried fava beans, dried chickpeas, and lentils. Fill the pot with water covering the beans with at least 3 inches of water and add the soda. Soak the beans for 6 hours.
- Drain the beans. Add the beans to the pressure cooker pot.
- Peel and roughly chop the carrots. Chop the tomato. Peel and chop the garlic. Add the vegetables to the pressure cooker pot.
- Fill the pressure cooker pot or stovetop pot with water covering the beans by at least 2.5 inches.
- If using an Instant Pot or stovetop pressure cooker, cook the beans on high for 1 hour 30 minutes. If using a regular pot, bring to a boil then turn down the heat to medium-low and cover. Cook on medium-low heat for about 4 to 5 hours. You will need to check the water levels if using a regular pot to make sure they don't get too low. The beans are finished cooking when they are easy to mush with a fork.
- Release the pressure from the pressure cooker.
- Drain the beans in a strainer and reserve just a little bit of the bean cooking liquid (about 1.5 cups to 2 cups).
- Store the cooked beans in freezer-friendly storage bags.
Make the Ful Medames Dip
- Add 4 cups of the ful medames to a bowl.
- Chop the tomato, cucumber, and onions. Mash the garlic with some salt using a mortar and pestle. Squeeze the lime.
- Add the tahini, mashed garlic, lime juice, ground cumin, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix with the mashed beans.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions. Mix all together.
- Add the olive oil on top.
- If you don't have a pressure cooker, you can cook the beans on the stovetop in a large pot on medium heat covered for about 4 hours. Make sure there is a generous amount of water at all times, so the beans don't burn. I keep the water level between 2 inches and 3 inches making sure the water doesn't go below 1" at all times.
- Nutritional information is only for the ful beans, not the ful medames dip.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Egyptian
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 217 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: foul moudamas, ful medames, foul moudammas, mudamas, fava bean dip, egyptian ful, egyptian foul beans