Egyptian spinach with tomato sauce is not to be confused with molokhia. This delicious vegan recipe is made from nutrient-dense spinach leaves.
- 2lbs (1 kg) fresh spinach leaves
- 10 small tomatoes (or 9 medium tomatoes)
- 2 large onions (or 3 medium onions)
- 1 bunch of cilantro (coriander)
- 9 cloves of garlic
- 3 cups broth (any type) or 3 cups water with a bouillon cube
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare The Ingredients
- Blend the onions and garlic in a food processor.
- Blend the tomatoes in a blender and strain.
- Wash the spinach leaves very well. Continue to wash the spinach until the water is sand-free. It might take 4 or 5 washes to completely remove the sand.
- Cut off the base of the spinach leaves and discard. Chop the spinach leave very finely and add to a strainer.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro (coriander).
Make the Tomato Sauce
- In a large stovetop pot on medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add the blended onions and garlic. Sautee until the onion mixture starts to turn golden (about 5 minutes).
- Add the strained blended tomato mixture. Add the ground salt, pepper, and sugar. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes on medium-high heat covered.
Make The Egyptian Spinach
- Add the chopped spinach and broth to the tomato sauce. Cover the pot and cook on medium-high heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chopped cilantro and ground coriander. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, then remove from the stove.
- Serve with rice.
- Use vegetable broth for the vegan version of this recipe.
- The nutrition information doesn't include rice.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Egyptian
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 156 calories
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 840 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: egyptian spinach, spinach and tomatoes, sauteed spinach, vegan spinach, gluten-free spinach, spinach recipe, full leaf spinach