This authentic Egyptian mulukhiyah with roz from scratch is a popular home cooked meal in Egypt. If you have access to fresh mulukhiyah, try this recipe.
- 3 bunches of fresh mulukhiyah
- 8 cups of chicken broth (for the soup)
- 4 cups of chicken broth (for the rice)
- 3 cups of dry Calrose rice
- 14 to 16 fresh garlic cloves (about 1 whole head of garlic)
- 4 tbsp of olive oil or butter
- 1 tbsp of ground cumin
- 1 tbsp of ground coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook Rice in Rice Cooker or Instant Pot
- Add 3 cups of rice and 4 cups of chicken broth to the rice cooker.
- Add salt to taste and about 2 tbsp of butter.
- Cook with the rice cooker or Instant Pot rice cook function.
- Remove the leaves from the mulukhiya plant.
- Add the leaves to a large bowl of water and wash thoroughly.
- Drain the molokhiya leaves and dab them with a towel to dry fully.
- In a food processor, add the leaves of the mulukhiyah and blend on high until they are finely minced.
- Mash the garlic cloves with a mortar and pestle. Alternatively, you can chop the garlic very finely.
- In a nonstick skillet, add 2 tbsp of butter or olive oil.
- Once butter is melted, add ¾ of the mashed garlic.
- Fry the garlic in the butter until it’s a dark golden brown.
- Add the ground cumin and ground coriander to the garlic.
- Set the fried garlic aside.
- Add the fresh mulukhiya and the remaining 1/4 of fresh garlic to the broth and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Once the mulukhiya starts to rise up in the pot from boiling, remove the mulukhiya from the stove.
- Add the roasted garlic to the molokhia.
- Serve with rice.
- You can cook the rice on the stovetop, however, the water to rice ratio will be different. For steps to cook rice on the stovetop, follow the steps in this post.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Egyptian
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 370
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 61 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Cholesterol: 18 mg
Keywords: mulukhiyah, molokhia with roz, mulokheya, mulookhiya, calrose rice