Every home in Egypt has molokhia as one of it’s staples. This authentic molokhia recipe is easy to make and reheats well.
- Frozen or fresh molokhia (jute)
- A whole chicken (about 3 lbs or 1.5 kg)
- 1 onion
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 cardamom pods
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 lime
- 1 head of garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- Cut whole chicken into quarters.
- Cut onion into quarters.
- Put half a gallon of water onto the stovetop.
- Add cardamom and bay leaves to the water.
- Add chicken and onion.
- Boil on high for 45 minutes. Reduce to a simmer and cover the pot for 45 minutes.
- Strain out the broth.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter.
- Add rice to butter and stir.
- Add 3 cups of chicken broth (made in the step above).
- Add 1 cup of water
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil rice. Once the liquid is not visible on top of the rice, reduce to low and cover the rice.
- Once the rice is tender, mix rice once and remove from heat. Keep the cover on the rice.
- Set oven to 425F (220C)
- Place boiled chicken into a baking pan.
- Rub chicken with tomato paste.
- Squeeze lime juice over chicken.
- Add salt and pepper to taste on top of chicken.
- Put the chicken in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the top of the chicken is crispy.
- Make sure the frozen molokhia has thawed. Keep it in the package until it’s ready to be added to the broth.
- Peel whole head of garlic.
- Mash garlic with mortar and pestle or chop very finely.
- In a nonstick skillet, add butter.
- Once butter is melted, add ¾ head of mashed garlic.
- Add ground cumin and ground coriander to the garlic.
- Fry the garlic in butter until dark golden brown.
- Add 8 cups of the chicken broth to a stovetop pot. Add the fresh or frozen molokhia (about 2.5 cups) and the mashed fresh garlic (about 1/4 of the original garlic).
- Bring the molokhia to a boil.
- Once molokhia starts to rise up in the pot from boiling, take molokhia off of the stove.
- Add the roasted garlic to the molokhia.
- If you would like a more in-depth version of cooking molokhia with fresh molokhia leaves, read this Egyptian mulukhiyah from scratch recipe.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Egyptian
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 643
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 175 mg
- Fat: 29 g
- Saturated Fat: 12 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 17 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 60 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 31 g
- Cholesterol: 131 mg
Keywords: molokhia molokhiya moulokhia whole chicken boiled jute soup