You can make this easy hummus recipe in 5 minutes flat. It’s big on taste and low on cost. You will never go back to store-bought hummus.
- Chickpeas (Two 15 oz cans or 5 cups of frozen chickpeas)
- 1.5 cups of sweet peppers in a jar
- 4 tbsp of tahini
- Juice from 2 lemons
- Fresh mashed garlic (4 cloves)
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 1 tbsp of ground cumin
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- If using canned chickpeas, drain the water in the can. Rinse the chickpeas two times.
- Add the chickpeas to a pot with water.
- Bring the chickpeas to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain the chickpeas using a mesh strainer.
- Squeeze the lemon. Mash the garlic. Measure out the tahini. Measure the ground cumin, salt, and paprika. Add all of the seasonings into the same bowl.
- Drain the sweet peppers.
- Using a food processor, blend the chickpeas, lemon, garlic, tahini, sweet peppers, salt, cumin, and paprika. Do not add water if using a food processor.
- If using a Vitamix blender, add about 1/2 cup of water and blend on high. Add water gradually alternating until the desired consistency is achieved.
- The nutrition facts omit the olive oil, which will vary depending on how much you add.
- You can use canned chickpeas, frozen cooked chickpeas, or freshly cooked chickpeas for this recipe.
- The Vitamix makes the hummus smoother and lighter.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 86 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: sweet pepper hummus, easy hummus recipe, hummus from canned chickpeas, quick hummus recipe