This honey pistachio baklava is absolutely delicious with the honey pistachio nut mixture stuffed in between crispy buttery filo layers.
- 1 lb frozen filo dough
- 1 lb walnuts
- 8 ounces shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons flower water
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 sticks of butter melted
Make Simple Syrup
- In a pot, add 1 cup of water and 2 cups of sugar.
- Bring to a boil. Add 1 tsp of lemon juice, 2 tbsp of flower water, and 1 tbsp of orange blossom water.
- Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool down.
Prepare Nut Mixture
- Add 1 lb of walnuts and 8 ounces of pistachios to the food processor. Pulse on high until nuts are crushed. This should take about 10 pulses. Pour crushed nuts into a large bowl.
- Set aside about 1/4 cup of the crushed nut mixture to use as a topping later.
- In a separate bowl, add 2 tbsp of flower water and 1 tbsp of orange blossom water. Add 1/2 cup of honey and 1/2 cup of sugar. Add 3 tbsp of the hot simple syrup.
- Mix all of the honey/sugar ingredients together.
- Pour honey/sugar ingredients over crushed nut mixture. Mix well.
- Unwrap the thawed filo dough. Individual sheets are very fragile and can break easily.
- Prepare an area where the unrolled filo dough can be laid. Place a damp towel over the filo when not in use.
- Heat butter or ghee on the stovetop. If using butter, scrape the top and discard it.
- Place a parchment paper on the bottom of the 9" x 13" pan.
- The filo dough is twice the size of the pan. Just fold the filo dough in the middle and lay it on the baking dish.
- Using a brush or soft spatula, spread melted butter all over the fil dough layer.
- Continue layering filo and butter until you have completed 4 filo sheets (the equivalent of 8 layers) on the bottom. Spread 1/3 of the nut mixture in a thin layer. Next, continue layering filo and butter for 3 filo sheets (or the equivalent of 6 layers). Again, spread 1/3 of the nut mixture in a thin layer. Then, continue layering filo and butter for 3 filo sheets (or the equivalent of 6 layers). Make the last nut mixture layer. Layer the filo and butter for 3 more filo sheets (or the equivalent of 6 layers) for the top layer of the filo dessert.
- Spread butter on the top.
- Cut the baklava prior to baking.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes at 375 ℉ (190 ℃).
- Remove from the oven and immediately pour the cooled simple syrup mixture into the cracks.
- Let the baklava cool.
- Add crushed pistachios and walnuts to the top of the baklava.
- Place the frozen filo dough from the freezer in the fridge the night or day before making the recipe. This is very important!
- You can use ghee instead of butter.
- Sugar can be substituted in lieu of honey.
You can make this with only walnuts or only pistachios. Or, you can change the mixture ratio as per your liking.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 333
- Sugar: 28 g
- Sodium: 264 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pistachio baklava, filo pastry pie, best baklava recipe, easy baklava, pastry with pistachios and walnuts