Date-filled cookie bracelets, or ka'ak asawer, are aromatic Palestinian cookies stuffed with date paste that are amazing with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tsp aniseeds
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup date paste (see notes above for how to make your own)
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients. Flour, aniseeds, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add in the olive oil and mix by hand until the flour mixture gets the texture of wet sand.
- Gradually add in the warm water and knead by hand until your dough is smooth and shiny (knead for at least 5 minutes).
- Divide the dough into equal parts and roll into little balls. This recipe will give you around 20 cookies, so divide accordingly.
- Mix your date paste with cardamom (and optionally a tablespoon of olive oil).
- Roll a little ball of dough into a log, then flatten with your hands.
- Fill with date paste in the middle.
- Fold the dough over the date paste so you have a cylinder.
- Pinch both ends and fold into a circle, then use your finger to press both ends together.
- Repeat until all your dough is rolled into cookies.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 ℉ (180 ℃) for 25-30 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden.
- Let cool before serving.
- Store date cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: palestinian
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 131
- Sugar: 9.7 g
- Sodium: 1 mg
- Fat: 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.8 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: date cookies, ka'ak, kaak, Palestinian recipes, Palestinian food, traditional recipes, dates, date recipes, Mediterranean recipes, arab recipes, arab food, middle eastern food, middle eastern cuisine, anise, aniseeds, aniseed cookies, traditional recipes, Palestinian cuisine