Cheese and Za'atar fried spring rolls make the perfect quick appetizer. They take less than 30 minutes to make and are a hit at any party.
- 20 square 7.5" (20 cm) spring roll wrappers
- 2 cups shelal cheese (see notes above for different types of cheese)
- 1/4 cup za'atar
- Oil for frying
- Thaw spring roll wrappers.
- Place a tablespoon of cheese and a teaspoon of za'atar on the bottom edge of the wrapper, leaving some space on the sides.
- Fold the edges over the filling and roll tightly.
- Seal by dipping your finger in water, then place the spring rolls seam side down while you finish rolling them all.
- Heat the oil. You'll need just enough to submerge the spring rolls in (you'll know it's ready when you place the back of a wooden spoon in and the oil starts to bubble).
- In batches, drop the spring rolls in, stirring while they fry until golden. Remove spring rolls with a slotted spoon. Place the cooked spring rolls on a paper towel and repeat.
- You don't need to deep fry, just add enough oil to barely submerge the spring rolls.
- Spring rolls can be made ahead and frozen. Just thaw prior to frying.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1 spring roll
- Calories: 100 calories
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 210 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 9 mg
Keywords: spring rolls, cheese spring rolls, cheese and za'atar, cheese and za'atar fried spring rolls, fried spring rolls, middle eastern appetizers, fried food, fried appetizers, middle eastern food, mediterranean cuisine, cheese, Syrian cheese