Kibbeh bil sanieh, aka baked kibbeh, is a quintessential Lebanese dish made from ground meat, bulgar wheat, and spices. It's popular across the country and loved by everyone.
- 2.2 lbs (1 kg) raw meat (I used lamb, you can use veal or beef)
- 20 ounces (600 grams) fine bulgur wheat (dry weight prior to getting soaked)
- 1 medium onion, chopped into quarters
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon seven spices
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Water (keep a bowl on hand to help you form the kibbeh dough)
- Soak the bulgar wheat in water for 40 minutes to 1 hour. The bulgar should be soft when ready. Drain the bulgar wheat.
- Split the meat into three batches. Ground the first two in a food processor and place them in a bowl. Put the third batch in the food processor along with the onion and spices and process. Add this mixture to the rest of the ground meat.
- Add the bulgur to the meat and start kneading the mixture with your hands until everything is mixed together (it takes around 5-7 minutes so keep mixing). If you feel the mixture needs it, place your hands in a bowl of cold water and then mix again.
- Once everything is combined, shape the mixture into 4 small balls.
- Grease an oven dish with some vegetable oil, then start pressing each of the 4 balls into the dish until you cover the entire surface of the dish (you can make it as thick or thin as you want depending on what you prefer, I make it on the thicker end).
- Make horizontal and vertical lines across the spread meat (it'll look like squares).
- Use a knife to make 2-3 line cuts inside each square (this stops the kibbeh from rising and allows the oil to seep in evenly).
- Use a finger to make holes at the corners of some of the kibbeh squares.
- Cover the entire dish with oil.
- Pop into a pre-heated oven 400 ℉ (204 ℃).
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Once done, remove the tray from the oven. Wait for it to cool before cutting up the pieces and transferring them to a serving dish (they'll crumble if you don't wait for them to cool down).
- Serve hot alongside some yogurt.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 490 calories
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 700 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Cholesterol: 64 mg
Keywords: baked kibbeh, kibbeh bil sanieh, how to make kibbee, baked kibbeh recipe, baked kibbee, kibbeh recipe baked