This Middle Eastern chicken and turmeric basmati rice is a delicious oven-baked onion and garlic basmati rice with tender crispy chicken thighs.
- 2.5 lbs (about 1 kg) of bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp seven spice
- salt to taste
Turmeric Basmati Rice
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 small onions or 2 medium onions
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 4 cups of water (or chicken broth)
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- Heat the oven to 400 ℉ (205 ℃). Season the chicken thighs with salt and seven spice. In a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, add the seasoned chicken thighs. Once the oven is ready, put the chicken thighs in the top rack of the oven for 45 minutes. While the chicken thighs are baking, prepare the turmeric basmati rice.
- Using a food processor, blend the peeled onions and garlic.
- In a nonstick skillet on high heat, sautee the blended onions and garlic with olive oil. Once the onions and garlic start to change colors (about 3 to 5 minutes), add the ground turmeric, ground coriander, and salt. Mix well until fully blended then add the rice and water (or broth). Pour the turmeric basmati rice into an oven baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and place it into the same oven as the chicken thighs on the middle rack. Cook the rice for 30 minutes with the foil on.
- Pull the chicken thighs out of the oven at the end of 45 minutes. Pull the rice out of the oven after 30 minutes of cooking with foil. Remove the foil and fluff the rice. Place the roasted chicken thighs on top of the rice. Put back in the middle of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for a couple of minutes.
- Turmeric basmati rice can be cooked on the stovetop instead of in the oven. Bring the rice to a boil. Once the liquid is at the same level as the rice, turn the rice on low and cover. Cook for 10 minutes on low. Cook the chicken thighs for 1 hour total in the oven if cooking the rice on the stovetop.
- Substitute butter or ghee in lieu of olive oil.
- It's optional to use boneless skin-on chicken thighs or bone-in skin on split chicken breasts. If using different types of chicken cuts, adjust the cooking temperature to accommodate for a thicker cut of meat.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1/6 portion
- Calories: 511 calories
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 160 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 53 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 43 g
- Cholesterol: 160 mg
Keywords: chicken and yellow rice, chicken thighs and rice dish, baked chicken thighs and rice, chicken thighs and basmati rice, turmeric basmati rice